Water Trough Preference

Help Support CattleToday:

jedstivers":2bgjwvvy said:
Tractor/Combine tires, they aren't portable but they are cheep, put in several and be done with it.

That's what I use, only cost is cement for the bottom 4.00 and a small cost less than 10.00 if I put a drain in them. Dept. of Ag. says they will last 100 years so by the time they wear out it will be someone problem other than mine. I can get all the tires I want free.

the tires I use go on a 25'' rim and are over 2' wide ,at least that big, more like a earth mover type tire. I'll try to take a picture sometime, very easy to make.

BRYANT":1xorzj6u said:
jedstivers":1xorzj6u said:
Tractor/Combine tires, they aren't portable but they are cheep, put in several and be done with it.

That's what I use, only cost is cement for the bottom 4.00 and a small cost less than 10.00 if I put a drain in them. Dept. of Ag. says they will last 100 years so by the time they wear out it will be someone problem other than mine. I can get all the tires I want free.

I despise playing musical water tanks, so all of my tanks are now permanent installations. I realize this won't work if you have leased/rented pasture.

Murphy's law usually prevails, so i use good sized capacity to have some reserve supply in case of a power outage or pump problems. 150 gal isn't going to begin to water a herd of thirsty cattle on a hot day :idea:

My summer pasture tanks are either 12' earthmover tires with concrete bottoms or fiberglass 10' rounds. Winter tanks are covered 8' tires. All of the tires have and most of the fiberglass tanks have submerged water valves in the bottom and never freeze as long as the tank stays full. I do have a couple fiberglass tanks set up with hydrants and exposed float valves for summer use only.

bird dog":4kdt0ymb said:
I like the Rubbermaid 300 gallon tanks. Set on a good base, they are pretty durable and easy to move. About $250.
None of them will hold up if you continually move them by dragging them across a pasture. If you are moving them frequently I would think the plastic would hold up better than metal.

+1.

I have had it up to HERE with the Rubbermaid tanks. I have two of the big round ones (? 300 gal) and two of the oval 100 gallon ones. FREE for the taking. Come and get em.

We have converted most of our water tanks to concrete with float valves plumbed in.

Latest posts