Water Trough Preference

Help Support CattleToday:

SteppedInIt

Reaction score
Gonna buy a 100 to 150 gal water trough to put in the pasture. It may be something I move weekly until I get better set up. I was thinking the Rubbermaid might be a more durable application than the metal ones. Looking for opinions.

SteppedInIt":3aso22qa said:
Gonna buy a 100 to 150 gal water trough to put in the pasture. It may be something I move weekly until I get better set up. I was thinking the Rubbermaid might be a more durable application than the metal ones. Looking for opinions.

100 gallon isn't big enough. Even if you have it.plumbed to a reliable source. if something goes wrong your outta water in a few hours.

I personally prefer the galvanized. The bigger the better. Although to say roll it up in the back of a pickup to move it. A 6 footer ain't to bad. I think it holds around 300 gallons I think. Still not much water

I use the 5' oval ones, mostly because there's a big price jump between that and the 6' ones. And I check them every day.

Good point FM about the "if something went wrong" 100 gal ain't enough. I think this trough would be drug by atv/tractor for a while. Trying to start a rotation. Rafter are you talking about galv metal or plastic? Thanks for replies.

SteppedInIt":163kqt6e said:
Good point FM about the "if something went wrong" 100 gal ain't enough. I think this trough would be drug by atv/tractor for a while. Trying to start a rotation. Rafter are you talking about galv metal or plastic? Thanks for replies.

I use the galvanized ones.

I use the rubbermaid tanks. depending on the location either 100 or 150 gal. I move them a head of the cows. Makesure you have a solid level base to set them on. They will eventually crack in the bottom if they aren;t supported. I poured concrete slabs 4 inches thick and just big enough to hold the tank in all of the water points I set up. If I was to do it again I would pour the slab bigger so the cows could stand more on the slab while they are watering.

dun":guosd59q said:
I use the rubbermaid tanks. depending on the location either 100 or 150 gal. I move them a head of the cows. Makesure you have a solid level base to set them on. They will eventually crack in the bottom if they aren;t supported. I poured concrete slabs 4 inches thick and just big enough to hold the tank in all of the water points I set up. If I was to do it again I would pour the slab bigger so the cows could stand more on the slab while they are watering.
thanks for letting me know about the cracking. I don't know of any flat spots here and this ground isn't hard. Galv may have to do for now.

You can make a platform out of 2x4s or 6s. Did that before I poured the concrete slabs.

wacocowboy":1dhr3n69 said:
I like the rubber maid for my pens.

They come in handy when needed. I have 3 of them. Bought one new, was given the 2nd one and got the 3rd at auction. The ones I have are the 100 gallon. So far, I have no cracks etc. I've had them (oldest one anyhow) about 15 years or more.

I ain't had nothing but problems out of the Rubbermaid ones, IMO they are pieces of sheit. Only use galvanized tanks. JMO

I like the Rubbermaid 300 gallon tanks. Set on a good base, they are pretty durable and easy to move. About $250.
None of them will hold up if you continually move them by dragging them across a pasture. If you are moving them frequently I would think the plastic would hold up better than metal.

I use the Tuff Stuff 110 gallon oval tanks in a couple spots. They're light & easy to move, I've had them for roughly 15 months & they've held up very well thus far even to some heavy freezing. They're made from recycled material & can be had for under $60. They're not the end all be all, they do need filled daily but they serve their purpose well on our farm & I would recommend them without hesitation.

Our rubbermaids are all connected to the central water system via freeze proof hydraunts and washing machine hoses. The washing machine hoses can withstand the constant pressure without failing.

We have the metal tanks. If moving them frequently, make sure the drain hole is welded in. Have one that has plastic around the drain hole. What a pain. Takes a pair of pliers and a screwdriver to remove the plug. The all metal type just takes a wide flat blade screwdriver. So much easier.

My :2cents:
Farmgirl

Have some Rubbermaid 250 gal and two 5' galvanize. Dunno why, but the cattle all seem to prefer drinking out of the rubbermaids first. Cooler water maybe. I have one concrete tank that's been around since I was a kid--the cows prefer it most of all, but it only holds about 90 gallons. Have one cast iron/porcelain bathtub, but seems every time I look, one of 'em has turned it over It doesn't hold much anyway.

I bought a 1200 gallon tank that was eat up with cancer on top. Cut the tup out of it and threw that away. Put 3 bags of Portland in the bottom of it and kept it wet a few days. That thing has lasted longer than it should have. Most expensive thing was the Portland cement.

Latest posts