Water Tank Algae

Help Support CattleToday:

rwtherefords

Reaction score
For years, I've just periodically emptied the water tanks and given them a good scrubbing to get rid of the algae buildup. The problem is that the algae spores are still in the tank, and soon the algae is thriving again. Any other suggestions for keeping water tanks algae free?

madbeancounter1":29mwy2z4 said:
I like to know the answer to this too. We have emptied the tank at least 4-5 times this summer to clean it out.

I don't have an alge problem this year...My tank has been dry for 2 months. I'm hauling water. :(

i know no way to keep algea out of water throughs.except to wash them out every so often.unless the cows are xoncuming lots of water.that keeps them cleaner.scott

I seem to remember hearing about citric acid being able to clean out the tanks--

Susie

This will not prevent it, but it will slow it down.

Drain tank - scrape and scrub clean. Let dry. Scrub with strong bleach solution. Rinse and let dry.

Rinse once more and fill.

Yeah, the bleach smell will remain but it is not strong and the cows will drink it. A couple of tanks of water and all trace of bleach smell disappears.

We generally only have to do this once or twice a year.

If it gets bad and I am too lazy to to do the above, I let it get low and then scrape it with a snow shovel - then I drain the tank and refill - works but only for about a week.

Bez'

Thanks Bez. I tried the bleach treatment a while back and it extended the period before the algae returned. I theorized that chlorine is added to pools and drinking water, so traces left from the cleaning process shouldn't hurt cattle. I'm glad to hear that someone else is using the method with no ill effects.

Stocker Steve":1g6pe4qh said:
We add a little bleach to the water for non ruminants to keep the tanks clean, but I have been afraid to do that with cattle. Any comments?

Just to be clear, I wasn't saying to add bleach to the water that cattle drink. I was agreeing with Bez that a tank cleaning process could use bleach as a means of killing existing algae that cannot be scraped/scrubbed off. After rinsing, I wouldn't think there would be any more residual chlorine in the H2O than in regular city water (which many people use to fill their tanks each day).

I was wondering if anyone had tried clhorine tabs or powder. Like the kind you can buy for swimming pools. Put it in at a lower rate. Has anyone used the stuff that goes in earthen tanks.

Scotty

Scotty":2h019lvj said:
I was wondering if anyone had tried clhorine tabs or powder. Like the kind you can buy for swimming pools. Put it in at a lower rate. Has anyone used the stuff that goes in earthen tanks.

Scotty
I have a small wire basket that hangs on the edge of the tank. In it I place 2 chlorine tabs/disks that we also use in our swimming pool. When the tablets are nearly gone, I replace them with 2 more. We used to drain & clean - have not had to for the past 2 yrs. Cows drink it readily & no issues have resulted (that I am aware of).

When the algae gets bad, the cows won't drink the water, so you have no choice but to drain & clean.

Jake":e1j2zv9z said:
I've heard of a couple people buying some of those little scum suckers at the pet store.

If you are talking about a standard size stock tank, pleckies will do an excellant job of removing algae from the tank, but may have to be removed from the tank and taken indoors for the winter in northern climates.

algae eaters. pleckie i'm guessing is slang for plecostomus

pleco3.jpg

I went to the pet store and got 6 gold fish. Put them in my tank and they keep in very clean!

I've used the garden varity type gold fish with success.
The ones that are only $.20 each. But you need to aerate the water so they will have oxygen.

Latest posts