Water Tank Algae

Help Support CattleToday:

Ha Dun the next time I trap that dog food eating coon I'll bring him to ya. :lol: I've hauled this coon off 3 times now. :shock: 2nd time I trapped him I thought it was the same cause of a missing toenail from the first encounter. The 2nd time I hauled him off I painted a yellow spot on him like a heat detection patch. Took him over between Fair Grove + Marshfield on the river. He made 3 turns in the pen and headed back NW as fast as greased lightning. The lid was off the dog food can the next morning........Got him 3 nights later yellow patch intact.
That night he went to creek over by Conway. Dun I'm getting closer. Took him 3 days to get home that time. It's been about 3 weeks now and time to try the trap again. He's switched from the dog food to the cantaloupes. The corn's been gone long ago.
Sorry strayed from the thread. I must use deeper tanks than you cause they have never gotten the goldfish. Now the minnows and crawdads in the bathtubs fiasco was another matter. Thinking about renaming the place to La Petite Deli.

dj":28zvka2a said:
Ha Dun the next time I trap that dog food eating coon I'll bring him to ya. :lol: I've hauled this coon off 3 times now. :shock: 2nd time I trapped him I thought it was the same cause of a missing toenail from the first encounter. The 2nd time I hauled him off I painted a yellow spot on him like a heat detection patch. Took him over between Fair Grove + Marshfield on the river. He made 3 turns in the pen and headed back NW as fast as greased lightning. The lid was off the dog food can the next morning........Got him 3 nights later yellow patch intact.
That night he went to creek over by Conway. Dun I'm getting closer. Took him 3 days to get home that time. It's been about 3 weeks now and time to try the trap again. He's switched from the dog food to the cantaloupes. The corn's been gone long ago.
Sorry strayed from the thread. I must use deeper tanks than you cause they have never gotten the goldfish. Now the minnows and crawdads in the bathtubs fiasco was another matter. Thinking about renaming the place to La Petite Deli.

I think a .22 bullet would solve your coon problem. :shock: :)

dj":2wfkbpee said:

Rather then being a chauffer why not just wack him and get it over with?

dun

Algae requires sunlight to grow.
At least 40% sunlight so a 60% shade will stop the algae from growing and give some cooler drinking water to boot

rwtherefords wrote:
I think a .22 bullet would solve your coon problem.

Amen Brother

Dick

P.S. I have a 3000 sq. ft tank and the cows have no problem drinking out of that and it has god knows what in it. So I put a capfull or so of bleach in the small aluminum tank by the pens and it works just fine, cows head doesn't twitch or spin around and they have given us good healthy calves so I don't worry about the bleach at all.

Dun I don't have a logical or rational reasoning. Could be the first fifteen years of my life if you shot it you ate it. And I don't like coon. Discriminate taking of life was determined by my grandfather. But pigeon breast with bacon slow baked ain't bad.
This coon was an irratation not aggravation. Didn't make a mess of things like some. In fact if he had learned to put the lid back on I won't have known he was there.
Could be the amazement of his navigational abilities.
He didn't exhibit any alarming tendencies. He was doing what he is supposed to when he was supposed to. Eatin the easiest meal he could find at night.

GMN
I have a dog but he stays in the house at night doing what he's supposed to do. Giving me that 30 second delay when someone is beating on the back door at night. They don't come on in when this dog is at the door. And if he wasn't inside he'd be in the pen. With the urbanization of the area I try to be an example for the new neighbors bringing their dogs to the country.

flaboy
Sitting in the barn all night waiting on a coon isn't my idea of entertainment. Did give a thought to one of the blue-tooth remote cams though.

redcountry
I have wondered about covering to keep the water cooler.
Always thinking about someway to keep those black's cooler in the heat of summer. But it also reduces the area available to the cows and sometimes they don't patiently wait in line. So does the cooler water help if they have increased activity getting it?

aussie_cowgirl
I noticed that lime seemed to help when some got in the tank while spreading on the fields. Are you from the Perth area?
My son was at UWA for two years. He really enjoyed the area.

dj":33yi8or7 said:
flaboy
Sitting in the barn all night waiting on a coon isn't my idea of entertainment. Did give a thought to one of the blue-tooth remote cams though.

Naw, you don't have to wait up for him. Get a have-a-heart trap. Trap it and shoot it. Coon's are nasty animals. I can't count how many I have planted over the years.

dj":jfgvg5q7 said:
Dun I don't have a logical or rational reasoning. Could be the first fifteen years of my life if you shot it you ate it. And I don't like coon.

Buzzards need to eat too. Rather then providing free transportation for the coon why not just open a free soup kitchen for the buzzards?

dun

I guess you'd have to play catch and release with any mice you want to get rid of too (unless you wanted to eat them).

I don't think the "you kill it, you eat it" applies to varmints.

But that's just me. :)

rwtherefords
Haven't practiced "you kill it you eat it" in quite awhile.
Catch and release with mice? the thought hadn't even occured.
but was worth a chuckle ;) now that I do

flaboy
"Have a :heart:" trap thats an oxymoron right?
The only compassion is a clean kill

Dun
Again thinking beyond the box. Will attend to civic duties at the first occasion.

dj":353wghcv said:
rwtherefords

flaboy

Dun
Again thinking beyond the box. Will attend to civic duties at the first occasion.

Yeah those traps are for tree huggers or PETA. I use them so I don't have to sit up nights. Also it makes a bullet easier to place.

dj":gmgowybv said:
rwtherefords

flaboy

Dun

Hey dj, my remarks were intended as friendly ribbing. :)
Just goofing around a bit.

When cows quit drinking from ruts in the pasture, stagnat stock ponds, then I will start to worry about a clean water trough....Come on folks these are cows, I am happy you folks have all that spare time to wash a cattle trough.

I noticed one of boss's water tanks has grass growing on the mat of algae... :lol2: Cows don't ever have to go anywhere; they can get feed and water at the same place. :p

Angus/Brangus":39rv6g48 said:
Silver_Knight":39rv6g48 said:
I use the smallest pool floaters http://www.aquasuperstore.com/products/ ... ~2601.html that I can find and put one small chlorine tablet about every two weeks. It keeps the water clean, algae free and livestock drinks it just fine. No more dumping the water out and scrubbing every week or so.

I like to have the water clean too in case I need to throw my Border in to cool her down from this heat but like "houstoncutter" says, it doesn't make a big difference to the cows. They just drink around it.
Now the dead possum I found in there the other day - it had to go. :nod:

roflmbo.....just flavoring. :lol2:

Latest posts