Water heater dilemma?

Help Support CattleToday:

lavacarancher":1g3borj0 said:
Big, don't know if they have Home Depot where you are but they sell a Multimeter for about $30. And it works. Get one and PM me - I'll lead you thru a quick instruction on how to use it.

Thanks

greybeard":6c6kfy8d said:
Yep, and it wasn't a dinky cheap meter either. An old Simpson 260 analog from the 60s. When I went to ET school in the Marines, we learned basic circuitry by troubleshooting the board from that same meter, because they were so common in the military's inventory. Had over 20 resistors on it, including a 1 megohm and a 3.75 meg ohm resistor. That old red snapr weed burner charger we had didn't even blink when it burned every resistor on the board. "Fuse? it said.. I didn't see no stinkin fuse"

I took mine apart and couldn't find the problem. Took it to my grandfather who worked on electronics in the military and later made a career out of it working at Warner Robins AFB. He brought it back to me in a ziplock bag and said "the leads are still good" :lol2:

Thermostat is like 10-12$, you can get a ac tester with a light up bulb in it for like 3$ .

Either just replace the thermostat (if your sure you have power to heater) or get the tester and check for power on incoming wire to thermostat, then wire from thermostat to element, if incoming wire has power and element wire doesn't then thermostat is bad.

Only 2 things to go wrong on electric water heater ( besides leaks) thermostat, and element.

SoILcattle":2pte4h25 said:
Thermostat is like 10-12$, you can get a ac tester with a light up bulb in it for like 3$ .

Either just replace the thermostat (if your sure you have power to heater) or get the tester and check for power on incoming wire to thermostat, then wire from thermostat to element, if incoming wire has power and element wire doesn't then thermostat is bad.

Only 2 things to go wrong on electric water heater ( besides leaks) thermostat, and element.

The test light sounds more my speed. lots of "settings/dials" on a multimeter. I'd be lost.

Red lead on the screw, where does the black go? just stick it to something grounded, like my 12 volt tester?

greybeard":2w5rqmig said:
Yep, and it wasn't a dinky cheap meter either. An old Simpson 260 analog from the 60s. When I went to ET school in the Marines, we learned basic circuitry by troubleshooting the board from that same meter, because they were so common in the military's inventory. Had over 20 resistors on it, including a 1 megohm and a 3.75 meg ohm resistor. That old red snapr weed burner charger we had didn't even blink when it burned every resistor on the board. "Fuse? it said.. I didn't see no stinkin fuse"

Grey, the "fuse" on a Simpson 260 is a one ohm resistor. It will blow every time the meter is stressed - like checking voltage while on the resistance scale. Some of the newer (if you can call a 50 yo meter newer) really did have a fuse. :lol:

I havent read this whole thread but we got a endless hot water heater for our camper. Our camper does not have a shower, so we got a tent thats made for showers...We tried it out before we took it out, i figured the water would be just hot enough to make due.....but no, it was scorching hot and could not run it on full heat. You ought to look into it, they are cheap, like 150 bucks... endless hot water while camping, priceless....

cowgirl8":3oruyiby said:
I havent read this whole thread but we got a endless hot water heater for our camper. Our camper does not have a shower, so we got a tent thats made for showers...We tried it out before we took it out, i figured the water would be just hot enough to make due.....but no, it was scorching hot and could not run it on full heat. You ought to look into it, they are cheap, like 150 bucks... endless hot water while camping, priceless....

I had one like this in a trailer once. Worked well, and took up very little space.

Showers were one problem we had while on our road trips...if the showers werent gross, they were cold, or you'd have limited time if you had limited quarters....

cowgirl8":1k09mndx said:
Showers were one problem we had while on our road trips...if the showers werent gross, they were cold, or you'd have limited time if you had limited quarters....

I'm never at a campground. I have to have everything self contained.

I googled shower tent. Pretty good idea actually. Never get my wife to use it, but it would free up a bunch of space in an LQ. You could put a Porta potty in it to.

Bigfoot":1pgkkmz3 said:
cowgirl8":1pgkkmz3 said:

I'm never at a campground. I have to have everything self contained.

What kind of things do you do?

Bigfoot":2aort5dg said:
I googled shower tent. Pretty good idea actually. Never get my wife to use it, but it would free up a bunch of space in an LQ. You could put a Porta potty in it to.
They pop up so fast...i was surprised at how easy it went up and back down. We have that tiny cabover camper..We are very limited to what we can take. Husband made a mount that the heater hooks to, and we tie the tent to the truck and camper so its close. And it can be used as a bathroom too, or a dressing room...

Latest posts