Filling tractor tires with water and antifreeze

Help Support CattleToday:

Little Joe

Reaction score
I had a leak in one of the tubes in a rear tire on my tractor, I was able to drain most of the water and antifreeze out and save it (30 gallons total). I wasn't sure how I was going to get it back in because pouring it through a funnel into that little adapter would've taken days, so I come up with a little redneck enginuity. Rigged up a sump pump I had from Lowe's and sat it in a 5 gallon bucket, just kept pouring the other buckets into that one. Took about an hour to pump the 30 gallons back in. Thought I'd share this in case someone else needs it.
View attachment IMG_1791.MOV

You can also use a 12v or 110v transfer pump. That you can attach garden hoses to.
You can also purchase a attachment that attaches the fitting of the hose directly to the fitting on the inner tube .

I have a 15 gallon sprayer with 12volt pump. I dump the gallon jugs of antifreeze in it and adapt the hose to the valve stem. Have the stem in the 12 o'clock position and power up the pump. Remove the hose at the valve stem a couple of times to let the air out. Takes 15 minutes or so for 40 gallons.

Well done, just be carefull with those buckets of antifreeze that dogs don't drink it while your back is turned, very nasty on the kidneys.

Ken

Actually used -20 F windshield washer fluid. Pick it up in the Spring at Walmart on sale for $1 a bottle. Believe it or not, folks don't think you can use winter fluid in the summer so they put it on sale.

Wait, what, you can't use winter cleaner in the summer? :oops:

When it was marked for a dollar I asked the manager in the auto section why it was on sale, and that's what he told me! Folks won't purchase winter wind shield wiper fluid in the summer. I called my wife who was near another Walmart and asked her to see if they had any gallons for sale. She found 20 each, and the guy behind her at the check out said you're husband must be filling tires. I got 62 at one store.

I use a little pump that goes on a drill that has garden hose threads on both ends. Also use the adapter from tractor supply for the inner tube valve that has an air release. Can drain or fill a tire in about 10 minutes.

I use a little pump that goes on a drill that has garden hose threads on both ends. Also use the adapter from tractor supply for the inner tube valve that has an air release. Can drain or fill a tire in about 10 minutes.
Pretty much what we used when I worked for a Kubota dealership. I think the drum we pumped from was RV antifreeeze most of the time.

They sell adapters that screws onto your water hose and screws onto your valve stem. Very simple our coop has them as well as any tire store that deals with ag tires. I've used antifreeze but I like best is alcohol. You can look up the ratio for whatever temperature you need on line. Oh yea, don't leave your water hose going unattended because you can blow up your tire from water pressure alone. Leave about 25% air in the tire so it has a compression chamber left to cushion your ride.

I gave up on fluid and tubes. I've switched to tubeless rear tires. Best part is, plugging them yourself on the tractor. Your system is genious though.
My youngest son borrowed one of my tractors. I don't remember all the details but he decided it needed a plug. Putting in that plug he poked a hole in the tube. He had no idea that there were tubes in tires. Got to love kids who think they know everything.

When using liquid in tires i actually prefer using calcuim cloride . You can mix it i water and get a lot more weight per gallon . 12.5 lbs per gallon vs 8.4 for water .so you can get almost a third more weight with the same amount of fluid.

I have the attach
You can also use a 12v or 110v transfer pump. That you can attach garden hoses to.
You can also purchase a attachment that attaches the fitting of the hose directly to the fitting on the inner tube .
I had the adapter on there, just had to have a way to pressurize it.

They sell adapters that screws onto your water hose and screws onto your valve stem. Very simple our coop has them as well as any tire store that deals with ag tires. I've used antifreeze but I like best is alcohol. You can look up the ratio for whatever temperature you need on line. Oh yea, don't leave your water hose going unattended because you can blow up your tire from water pressure alone. Leave about 25% air in the tire so it has a compression chamber left to cushion your ride.
I used the adapter but this was all water and antifreeze that was already in the tire that I drained out and saved because I had a leak and didn't want to have to buy antifreeze again so I had to come up with a way to pressurize it to shoot back in the tires.

Haven't put fluid in a tire in 10+ years. Cast iron weight maybe a bit more expensive but it doesn't rust, doesn't leak out, will outlast any of us, doesn't make tire repairs and changes dreadful, etc.

Also like everything tubeless as they are easier to repair and one less thing to worry about when mounting the tires.