magnetic block heater

Help Support CattleToday:

My 6610 does have a coolant heater. See picture below. It plugs in to a 110 volt outlet.
The tractor does not have glow plugs or any sort of key switch activated heater.
That's interesting, I've never seen a diesel 5-7xx0 series tractor without the cold start "injector" in the intake manifold. Has a fuel line connected to it with one wire that works in the spring loaded switch position just prior to the start position.

And I live much farther north than you and have personally owned 8 Fords in the 5000 - 7710 series and have wrenched on dozens more and have only seen 1 or 2 with the cold start option.

I put Rotella T6 synthetic 0W-40 in all of mine... expensive but helps alot. Thinking of putting synthetic hydraulic oil in too... only concern there is leaks/blowouts would end up costing alot of money.

Thanks Chevy. I didn't mean new starter. I had mine "overhauled" at the local shop.
I do suspect I should replace the battery cables, although all terminals are clean and nothing visibility wrong. I know big electrical cables can corrode within the insulation.

My tractor starts good down to freezing temp. Even down to 20*F it'll start if I plug in the block heater. Below 20* it gets exponentially slower cranking. There's a remarkable difference in cranking speed from 20* to 0* degrees.

I was thinking some gentle and easy assist of warming the oil with a magnetic heater would solve my problems for the handful of days per winter that I need it.

I'm going to order some 0W-40 oil tomorrow and give that a shot.
I would say there is a 'huge' difference between a rebuilt factory starter and a new gear reduction starter.