magnetic block heater

Help Support CattleToday:

Ouachita

Reaction score
I had never heard of a magnetic block heater until someone mentioned here on CT a few days ago. I think it would help my diesel tractor cold start problems. I'm thinking I'd put it on the bottom of the oil pan when I need it. I've searched and a bit overwhelmed at the choices. Any suggestions on which one to buy? It's a Ford 6610 if that makes a difference

They are better than nothing. A coolant heater is a much better option. I prefer a circulating tank heater but freeze plug heaters are pretty good as well. The Ford 4 and 6cyl are real easy to put a Katts 1500w circulating tank heater in.

I prefer coolant heaters. Another option is to change to a lighter weight oil .

I have a block heater on my tractor and that works, but here last week when we had that -40f it just was not enough. My batteries were replaced a two or there years ago so I think they are ok. I am think of getting one to put under the oil pan for those extremally cold days. The only think I worry about is, would it reduce the life of the oil.

If tractor won't start with block heater ,I would change to a 5w40 diesel oil. Second thing I would do check the batteries, cranking amps drop as temperature drops. Are the batteries at or above the recommended cca of the tractor? Is tractor being ran long enough to fully recharge batteries.
Look at putting a trickle charger on you batteries and keep them charged in the winter. One of the biggest issues with batteries is farm vehicle failure is so to them freezing because they didn't have a proper charge.
A liquid acid battery slowly discharges over time. Not much of a problem usually if it is used regularly and recharged by the vehicle charging system. It becomes a big issue if batteries sit unused for any amount of time. The time a battery can sit unused and still function properly, and not be damaged decreases as the temperature drops.

Magnetic pan heaters are better than nothing. Silicone pad heaters are better. We always put circulating heaters on our equipment before we had a shop. Block heaters only take you so far. I run 0W-40 year around. Battery heaters aren't a bad idea either

I keep a battery tender on the tractor that sits outside along with the circulating coolant heater. Helps to have a topped off battery that is a bit warmer than the outside air. I also run 0w-40 for the winter in that tractor.

Circulating tank heater will heat motor much better than a comparable watt freeze plug block heater.

0W-40 is a new one on me.

My 6610 does have a coolant heater. See picture below. It plugs in to a 110 volt outlet.
The tractor does not have glow plugs or any sort of key switch activated heater.

It does have a button on the injector pump to push in for cold starts. It enrichens the fuel/air mixture, similar (but different) that a choke does on a carbureted gas engine.

These help a lot, but my problem seems to be related to engine cranking speed when the temps have been in the single digits or lower overnight.

I've replaced the starter last year and the battery about two years ago (I had replaced it when I bought the tractor in 2012……it made eight years). Neither made a difference.

Doesn't appear to matter if I've had the maintainer on the battery, or if I have booster hooked up. Cranking speed seems sluggish when the oil is cold (below 20*F).

Attachments

• AB5DAA1C-EFA4-407F-8931-8B94E906A210.jpeg
    AB5DAA1C-EFA4-407F-8931-8B94E906A210.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 9
Gear reduction starter works wonders on the Ford 4cyl and 6cyl tractors to get them spinning a little easier. Also 0w oil helps a lot.

But 20* isn't really that cold and you shouldn't be having cranking issues. I would triple check that all the battery connections are clean and shiny.

Just because you put a "new" starter in it doesn't mean its good. I put 3 starters from All States Ag Parts in and none of them would spin my TW over below 40 degrees. Chinese Junk. Ha

Thanks Chevy. I didn't mean new starter. I had mine "overhauled" at the local shop.
I do suspect I should replace the battery cables, although all terminals are clean and nothing visibility wrong. I know big electrical cables can corrode within the insulation.

My tractor starts good down to freezing temp. Even down to 20*F it'll start if I plug in the block heater. Below 20* it gets exponentially slower cranking. There's a remarkable difference in cranking speed from 20* to 0* degrees.

I was thinking some gentle and easy assist of warming the oil with a magnetic heater would solve my problems for the handful of days per winter that I need it.

I'm going to order some 0W-40 oil tomorrow and give that a shot.

A 1500w circulating heater has my tractor warm and cranking like its summer time in under an hour, closer to half an hour. Without it, starting it under 40 isn't happening.

Mine have freeze plug heaters. The older 5000 is hard to start cold even with glow plugs. The 6640 will pull a battery down quickly without being plugged in 20 to 30 minutes when it's in the 20 degree or below range. My other 5000 started with just the glow plugs on Friday and Sunday. Didn't have to start it Saturday which was our coldest day.
All get 15W40 Rotela.

I agree a webasto would be the cats meow on a tractor that is needed daily all winter long to feed. I looked for a used one for quite some time but then we bought a farm with a heated shop. Currently have one group of cows away from home with a tractor sitting outside but they are due to return home as soon as I get to 12' drifts moved and things dug out so I can load them up.

I agree a webasto would be the cats meow on a tractor that is needed daily all winter long to feed. I looked for a used one for quite some time but then we bought a farm with a heated shop. Currently have one group of cows away from home with a tractor sitting outside but they are due to return home as soon as I get to 12' drifts moved and things dug out so I can load them up.
I've got one on my excavator. I can set the heater's start time and run duration a week in advance. When I show up the motor is warm before I start it. Heater blows warm air in no time. And it doesn't matter where I park it.

Ran them on logging equipment for years. Show up to a warm machine with a warm cab and warm hydraulic oil. Cycle all the hydraulic functions to get the cold oil out of the cylinders and hoses and go to work.

a dipstick heater has worked for me in the past...got mine at napa or tsc...can remember......dont know if it would work at those temps....but might help

I had never heard of a magnetic block heater until someone mentioned here on CT a few days ago. I think it would help my diesel tractor cold start problems. I'm thinking I'd put it on the bottom of the oil pan when I need it. I've searched and a bit overwhelmed at the choices. Any suggestions on which one to buy? It's a Ford 6610 if that makes a difference
Kat's 1190 Magnetic Engine Heater, 1190X

Magnetic pan heaters are better than nothing. Silicone pad heaters are better. We always put circulating heaters on our equipment before we had a shop. Block heaters only take you so far. I run 0W-40 year around. Battery heaters aren't a bad idea either
my trucks have the freeze plug block heaters and I find them VERY effective.. when we had the cold weather (OK, not as cold as you) plugging it in for just 20 minutes made a night and day difference in how the trucks started.. Battery heaters are a good idea too for sure if you're going to be in cold weather a lot

Ditto on the battery heaters. I also use a trickle charger in situations where I do not use the machine regularly.

Latest posts