Block heaters on tractor

Help Support CattleToday:

JW IN VA

Reaction score
If you use a block heater, how long do you have it plugged in? My 6640 Ford will drain a battery quickly if it isn't plugged in at least twenty minutes at temps below freezing. Lately, I've been plugging it in a hour and a half or two hours.
Anyone know how many watts the factory ones are? I don't want use a lot power if I don't have to. Maybe a timer would be best.

Most block heaters are about 1500W. So about all a 15 amp breaker can handle. I would plug in after supper for a morning start up, but probably wouldn't plug a tractor in at just freezing temps but it sounds like you have a weak battery. Might as well not postpone the inevitable and replace that battery with a good one.

Seems that we normally try to plug in a tractor or a truck for about 2 hours before using also. No timers... except son will call me and say please go plug in the tractor by 2 so I can use it after work... or go plug in the truck at 10 so we can load cattle at noon....

I have them on a timer and have them turn on 4-6 hours before I use the tractor. Will they start on a shorter time? You bet.

But electricity to plug that heater in is cheap compared to a engine rebuild from cold oil and low/no oil pressure, piston wear from excessive cranking, worn starters, etc.

@chevytaHOE5674 I think in your area that you probably are about right with 4-6 hours. We don't usually get as cold as often or for as long a stretch of time. We got down to 6 the other night but was up to 29 by noontime.
Agree totally that a little extra electricity is definitely cheaper than rebuilding and other things you listed.

I have an international utility tractor with a 1500w tank heater that I plug in for 30 min to 2 hours depending on temps. Temps down to zero or slightly below it takes a good 1.5-2 hours to get warmed up enough where it will fire up quickly without ether. When it gets -10 or lower I try to plan ahead so I don't have to start it at all.

I am not far from you and a similar climate. On a timer 2 hours from my experience they will start good with a strong battery, and everything mechanically good on the tractor.

Same as everyone else here from VA, 2 hours on a timer seems to be about right. Anything more than that, and I don't see any improvement in performance.

I was having this conversation with my cousin yesterday, we both agreed that if a tractor has Ford written anywhere on it you better have it plugged in below freezing or so. The best starting tractor I've been around is our McCormick CX105 with a Perkins 4 cyl, I don't think the block heater has ever been used.

The best starting tractor I've been around is our McCormick CX105 with a Perkins 4 cyl, I don't think the block heater has ever been used.
I've got a MF175 with the Perkins 4 cylinder. It started last February around 0F without the block heater. I know probably shouldn't have done that, but it worked.

I've got a MF175 with the Perkins 4 cylinder. It started last February around 0F without the block heater. I know probably shouldn't have done that, but it worked.
We had a MF175 with a 236ci engine and dad always said it was the best starting cold weather tractor he ever had. If below zero a shot of ether and it started right up. The old 65 and MF285 stated good also we had.

I wish I still had the MF175, but the hydraulics were extremely slow. To make a nice tractor it needed and external hydraulic pump.

Last edited:
Definitely on a timer ....if you plug it in all night it will burn out the element in a year or two....or thats been my experience...also you might look into a gear reduction starter, they spin the engine a lot faster making it easier to start. Just my 2 cents.

Definitely on a timer ....if you plug it in all night it will burn out the element in a year or two....or thats been my experience...also you might look into a gear reduction starter, they spin the engine a lot faster making it easier to start. Just my 2 cents.
I don't think I've ever replaced a block heater, and I live where you plug your stuff in when you shut it off and unplug after you start it and hopefully before you leave the yard with it.

We had a MF175 with a 236ci engine and dad always said it was the best starting cold weather tractor he ever had. If below zero a shot of ether and it started right up. The old 65 and MF285 stated good also we had.

I wish I still had the MF175, but the hydraulics were extremely slow. To make a nice tractor it needed and external hydraulic pump.
I've got a 231 massey and it's never been cold enough here that it won't start first try, it doesn't have a block heater.

I leave mine plugged in most of the coldest part of the winter. I think it costs me about $50 a month, but worth it. A lot of people just don't realize how tough below zero temps are to work it. That said, I'm running a 4240 John Deere with 12,000 hrs., and it needs a shot of ether almost year around. But it's a much better starter (no comparison) with my old 4430. Another theory of mine -- using a 45-year-old machine frees up a lot of rural electric money. Oh, and with a just a short period of plug-in (hose type heater), my 1955 Farmall 400 fires right up. Never could figure out those timers -- would love them for Christmas lights.

I've heard several people recommend timers for them, but have never got one. I agree with the assessment of the Fords ,from my experience with a 3000 and a 7710, when it gets much under 40, they need plugging up. I used to leave them plugged up over night, but stopped that, after the heater on the 3000 started sizzling and smoking right after I plugged it in. I've heard people say the heaters need replacing every 2 or 3 years. A couple hours plugged in will get the 3000 going. The Case tractor I had did much better, it would start good down to a little below 30, and plugging up a half hour or so would do for it.
I have a John Deere 5055 now, and it seems to start good down to around 30, I haven't tried to push it have been plugging it up for about a half hour when its at or below freezing. It's been down to 5-10 degrees a few mornings and it's started right up, with being plugged in

I leave mine plugged in most of the coldest part of the winter. I think it costs me about $50 a month, but worth it. A lot of people just don't realize how tough below zero temps are to work it. That said, I'm running a 4240 John Deere with 12,000 hrs., and it needs a shot of ether almost year around. But it's a much better starter (no comparison) with my old 4430. Another theory of mine -- using a 45-year-old machine frees up a lot of rural electric money. Oh, and with a just a short period of plug-in (hose type heater), my 1955 Farmall 400 fires right up. Never could figure out those timers -- would love them for Christmas lights.
Have you tried setting you throttle to about 1200 rpm when you shut down your 4240? Can't remember the exact rpm that the manual recommends but it's in that neighborhood. Then don't touch the throttle until after it's started the next time. You probably know that living where you do, but not everyone does.

You guys must have got the cold weather Fords down south there. My 5000, TW, and 8830 will all start un-assisted down into the low teens if needed. Pump the fuel lift pump by hand, set throttle wide open, push in cold start button on the pump, and spin them over. Now they aren't happy about it (smoke like a train, knock like somethings coming thru the oil pan, etc) but in an absolute emergency they will start.

I have them on a timer and have them turn on 4-6 hours before I use the tractor. Will they start on a shorter time? You bet.

But electricity to plug that heater in is cheap compared to a engine rebuild from cold oil and low/no oil pressure, piston wear from excessive cranking, worn starters, etc.
My line of thought as well. Pretty fanatical about warming a diesel up period and anything below 35 and mine get plugged in if I can get a cord to them. Then at least 20 min. of idle time before I even think about moving it. Drives people around me nuts but I got a lot of diesels I use everyday with high hours. They are all strong and dont use any oil.