Wasted a good beer

Help Support CattleToday:

Nesikep

Reaction score
So I was out baling last night, from 11pm to 4 am things were going well, I had found the rhythm everything wanted to go at, it wasn't a heavy cut, so I was cruising along at about 5 mph and then I saw a little smoke from a valve cover gasket on the old wisconsin engine on the baler.. get off, look around, must have a little bit of a leaky cover gasket (it's brand new).. so I get going again, and a few rounds later I see some sparks... I am right by a corner so I just go straight, away from my hay and monitor the situation, seems like there's a bunch of oily chaff down in the cylinder area that is on fire... so I shut it down, cracked the beer i had open and poured it in.. the fire was out, I started it back up, revved the pizz out of it and blew the rest of the smouldering crud out, and I was on my way again... with no beer :'(

if I don't bale in the middle of the night I'd have bales of straw with not a leaf on them.. neighbor across the river bales in the daytime, and I can see it when I look at his hay, you open a bale and you have a pile of sticks and a pile of leaves. In the daytime you wouldn't see the sparks flying, and everything is more flammable, everything runs hotter too. Other than that little hiccup this rebuilt engine with a motorcycle carb on it runs FAR better than it used to, and I get about 100-120 bales to a gallon, my entire first cut I did on 13 gallons and it was about 1400 bales

We have to quit baleing about an hour before dark because of the dew. The baler will tell you real quick if you go last that. I would love to be able to bale after dark.

every place is different.. I was out in a T shirt until about 3 am and comfortable.. usually the good baling only happens when there's enough of a chill in the air I have to layer up.. the bales weren't as heavy as I usually make them, probably about 70 lbs instead of the usual 80

Latest posts