waste from us as fertilizer

Help Support CattleToday:

pdfangus":214asmaa said:
Well to me it is a matter of what to do with it.

we can recycle it to a productive use in natures own way,

or

we can treat it like trash and fill great holes with it or pile it up and make mountains out of it. usually in these cases it is encased in plastic to inure that it remains forever as a potential source of pollution and contamination in massive quantities.

heaven knows we would not want our tender sensibilities to be offended in any way. we don't want to think about it, we don't want to hear about it, we don't want to smell it, we don't want to deal with it in any way, and don't want to acknowledge that we had any role in producing it.

just more spoiled americans all wanting to take the easy road out and let someone else deal with the unpleasant aspects of life.

reminds me of horse owners I have seen bagging up their horse poo and leaving it with the garbage for the trash man to haul away. does nothing to relieve the percieved problem but transfers the problem to someone else.

This is what I am saying. There has to be an alternative to this.We should be able to sell it or something. I guess I was just thinking outloud again. I just thought it cant be any worse than chicken litter or turkey litter and should be good fertilizer. Just becuase it came from us instead of another animal it is like it is tabo to even think about it as fertilizer.

in cash grain applications it is normally worked into the soil. thus aroma problems are negligible.

Pasture and hayland we don't want it worked in and destroy the grass so we have a little aroma for a while but it really is not bad.

I do not know a way to inject the solids into the soil.

had a guy call me this morning and offer me class a pellets at 35 bucks a ton and 12 bucks a ton for spreading. usual analysis is about 5-6-3 for what he gets. Of course there is a lot of carbon and organic matter. Just two years ago the pellets were 10 bucks a ton.

pdfangus":bmbcq5mu said:

or

we can treat it like trash and fill great holes with it or pile it up and make mountains out of it. usually in these cases it is encased in plastic to inure that it remains forever as a potential source of pollution and contamination in massive quantities.

heaven knows we would not want our tender sensibilities to be offended in any way. we don't want to think about it, we don't want to hear about it, we don't want to smell it, we don't want to deal with it in any way, and don't want to acknowledge that we had any role in producing it.

just more spoiled americans all wanting to take the easy road out and let someone else deal with

the unpleasant aspects of life.

reminds me of horse owners I have seen bagging up their horse poo and leaving it with the garbage for the trash man to haul away. does nothing to relieve the percieved problem but transfers the problem to someone else.
:nod: :clap:

pdfangus":2vcfjcin said:

or

just more spoiled americans all wanting to take the easy road out and let someone else deal with the unpleasant aspects of life.

Good post! You hit the nail right on the head.

Class A biosolids have been treated and tested and are packing a whole lot less pathogens than standard old cow manure and chicken manure which are regularly spread on fields. Every year I get hay that comes from a field owned by the city that surrounds the sewage plant. The cows do real well on that hay. The fields are well fertilized with biosolids and as a result there are plenty of nutrients available for the plants to take up.

This is termed "beneficial re-use". Test results show that this stuff has a whole lotta P and K. We get it here for free. No pellets avaialble here.

TexasBred":32xg7k4a said:
IN short...regardless of the form or texture...a turd is still a turd.

right on TB; call a spade a spade or in this case, sewage....no matter how you think about it, no matter what you call it, no matter how you market it.

TexasBred":o0rqdgy9 said:
IN short...regardless of the form or texture...a turd is still a turd.
There's a joke about picking up a turd by the clean end

pdfangus":2y0ghemb said:
in cash grain applications it is normally worked into the soil. thus aroma problems are negligible.

Pasture and hayland we don't want it worked in and destroy the grass so we have a little aroma for a while but it really is not bad.

I do not know a way to inject the solids into the soil.

had a guy call me this morning and offer me class a pellets at 35 bucks a ton and 12 bucks a ton for spreading. usual analysis is about 5-6-3 for what he gets. Of course there is a lot of carbon and organic matter. Just two years ago the pellets were 10 bucks a ton.
Where do them "pellets" come from ? The city? some of that increase is the fuel... I aint eatin no cow of a chit farm...:)

A plant doesn't take up manure regardless if it's human waste or chicken litter or cow chit. The plant takes up P and K and N and S and on and on. Some are in various chemical compounds but regardless it is all broken down by soil organisms before the roots of any plant can take it in. Therefore nothing produced off any land in which waste has been applied will contain any form of manure. It's all in a person's head. I'm sure a lot of the things we eat would not be consumed if we knew some of the processes to get it to the plate.

novaman":14u5hqm2 said:
A plant doesn't take up manure regardless if it's human waste or chicken litter or cow chit. The plant takes up P and K and N and S and on and on. Some are in various chemical compounds but regardless it is all broken down by soil organisms before the roots of any plant can take it in. Therefore nothing produced off any land in which waste has been applied will contain any form of manure. It's all in a person's head. I'm sure a lot of the things we eat would not be consumed if we knew some of the processes to get it to the plate.

I agree but their is one exception that I know of and that is leafy vegetables like lettuce and spinach. These can suck up some impurities in the soil in certain situations. Think lettuce from Mexico. Other than that its all part of a cycle and I think maybe too many people have been deprived of the joy of toting sacks of guana.

Jogeephus":2l4pexfa said:
novaman":2l4pexfa said:

I agree but their is one exception that I know of and that is leafy vegetables like lettuce and spinach. These can suck up some impurities in the soil in certain situations. Think lettuce from Mexico. Other than that its all part of a cycle and I think maybe too many people have been deprived of the joy of toting sacks of guana.

i AM NOT AN EXPERT ON THIS....but I thought most of those leafy vegetable contamination cases were as a result of direct contamination of the edible parts of the plant with the pathogen. ie poor hygine by the pickers....dont' make me draw no word pictures here....

pdfangus":38njh4m6 said:
i AM NOT AN EXPERT ON THIS....but I thought most of those leafy vegetable contamination cases were as a result of direct contamination of the edible parts of the plant with the pathogen. ie poor hygine by the pickers....dont' make me draw no word pictures here....
Geez, don;t tell me they might spit on the stuff they're picking

As said there is a great demand for fertiliser and a great need to dispose of human waste. Using treated biosolids is one thing but what about all the other 'things' that are dumped in a sewer?? The use of biosolids is being controlled at this stage, but how do you keep those controls in place? What happens when it is used profusely and we end up with pathogens lying dormant in large areas of land for years after? Not all pathogens are killed in the 'treatment'.

pdfangus":1rsxor6f said:

Did some reading on this and you are right. Thanks for correcting me. :tiphat:

Most of the University Studies do not show the hazard in eating the produce, although most recommend against it. The greatest hazard seems to be coming into direct contact or inhaling airborne particles. Fields treated with lime after the sludge is applied could actually be more hazardous to some people who are allergic to lime. The lime can irritate the skin, nasal and esophageal passages. These areas can even become raw and open with people who are highly allergic to lime. The lime is not 100% effective in neutralizing the sludge. Airborne particles enter the blood stream through skin irritations, open sores, etc.
Class B biosolids are used extensively in fertilizers.

http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/foodnut/09369.html
Preventing E-coli From Garden to the Plate

Bear

JHH":m50fycsq said:
Would waste from a sewer plant be ok to put on as fertilizer and what kind of problems, expense, or anything else can you think of be a problem? I have a reason for asking. This is just a thought.

It may not even be legal?

I lease a hay field that had human sludge applied to it for around 20 years, ended about 5 years ago. It was "managed" by the local service authority and extension service. My advice is to stay away from the sludge at all costs, it had that soil so far out of whack it wouldn't grow anything but weeds. We killed it, ran it thru a couple crop rotations and then planted it in OG and a legume mix. Between the county and myself, we've put an obscene amount of money into that field trying to get it to produce but it never yields the way it should. Not a single drop of that stuff will ever touch a piece of land that I own or lease again.