waste from us as fertilizer

Help Support CattleToday:

JHH

Reaction score
Would waste from a sewer plant be ok to put on as fertilizer and what kind of problems, expense, or anything else can you think of be a problem? I have a reason for asking. This is just a thought.

It may not even be legal?

JHH":2lj76zt2 said:
Would waste from a sewer plant be ok to put on as fertilizer and what kind of problems, expense, or anything else can you think of be a problem? I have a reason for asking. This is just a thought.

They give it to the public here and say it can be used on a vegetable garden. I know it works cuz my Dad uses it on his garden. NOT ME!

I would use it on a hayfield though.

Just a little story. 20 years ago one of my competitors rolled his car through a hayfield that had just been spread with that CRAP. He walked away with a scratch on his arm and when he wouldn't let them amputate it a week later he died from the infection. Use it with care. I don't care what they say about the composting killing the pathogens.

JHH":3k4yj6f1 said:

yes it does work and yes it is legal
The city of springfield has been applying it for yrs but now some of the city folk that moved to the country don't like the smell and have been raising cane so the city has quit
the town I live near has some ground they lease for haying and they apply the waste several times a yr
the lessee has to apply the lime and from what I have been told it take upto 2 tons pr acre pr yr to maintain a 5.5 ph
I looked into leasing the ground at one time and decided I didn't want it not because of the waste, it was just a pain dealing with the city

JHH":2s5bgxie said:

Never used it myself. Always wondered how they removed all the condoms from it. :?:

How about the possibility of E. coli contamination. Of particular concern would be E. coli: O157:H7. Do a search on E. coli and your garden.

I get a number of people that ask about this every year. It will help just about anything you put it on, but I have never found enough sources one sided enough to make me feel comfortable enough to recommend it.

This topic always reminds of the show "Gilligans Island" where the radioactive garden seeds wash up on shore and they grow Ginormas produce.
Bear

Angus Cowman":2igi49hg said:
JHH":2igi49hg said:

yes it does work and yes it is legal
The city of springfield has been applying it for yrs but now some of the city folk that moved to the country don't like the smell and have been raising cane so the city has quit
the town I live near has some ground they lease for haying and they apply the waste several times a yr
the lessee has to apply the lime and from what I have been told it take upto 2 tons pr acre pr yr to maintain a 5.5 ph
I looked into leasing the ground at one time and decided I didn't want it not because of the waste, it was just a pain dealing with the city

Did they have to pay for it or is it a free deal?
I just dont see a problem as long as it is used for hay fields.

The reason for asking is the sewer for a city ( very small town ) is going in the red every year. I was just thinking that they could sell the ( fertilizer) and maybe generate some revenue.

as long as i had any other choice i wouldn't use human waste on my fields, gardens or anywhere near where i live. it's just the thought of it, and the thought of it doesen't bring anything good to mind. my share i give to the save the earth folks, a true test of their commitment!

TexasBred":1ec01qj6 said:
JHH":1ec01qj6 said:

Never used it myself. Always wondered how they removed all the condoms from it. :?:

:lol:

JHH":qnml9kcz said:
Did they have to pay for it or is it a free deal?
I just dont see a problem as long as it is used for hay fields.

The reason for asking is the sewer for a city ( very small town ) is going in the red every year. I was just thinking that they could sell the ( fertilizer) and maybe generate some revenue.
They gave it away and charged for the spreading I believe

Now this was the slurry so it was wet and did have quite an odor
the solids that are left over are composted and mixed with mulch and they sell that by the loader bucket full for gardens and flower beds
the zoo up there does the same thing with their manure
They sell it as ZooDoo to all the city folks for their gardens and flower beds cost $10 a skidsteer bucket full and they sell it faster than the animals can make it :lol:

down our way it is free and spread free and is lime stabilized in most cases.
It is regulated but the Virignia Department of Environmental Quality and an inspector visits almost every application.

We have used it for about five years on pasture and hay land. In our situation they do any particular field every three years and we rotate fields so have an application most years. there are other rotations will lesser application rates available.

it all goes through significant treatment but the treatment varies by the processing plant.

Class A is available at a low cost and is pelletized and safe enough that it does not need permitting. It is a common component of cash grain fertility programs in our area.

I do some haying on what we call the spray field. Its a liquid sludge that is sprayed over the field. Field produces really well but sometimes its hard to get it dried before they spray again. Never had any troubles with hay from it. Supposed to be safe but I sure wouldn't drink any of the water.

With all the stuff people flush down their toilets, would you personally eat any beef raised on that field, or any beef that ate hay off that field? Not me, no thank you

hooknline":26vy2ro1 said:
With all the stuff people flush down their toilets, would you personally eat any beef raised on that field, or any beef that ate hay off that field? Not me, no thank you
Right..........seems to make me sick even thinking about it.......

I have a couple of fields permited to use for treated biosolid application but have never had it done yet. Here it has to be knifed into the soil. It goes through extensive treatment process and is tested before you can field apply. None of it is labled to put on crops directly for human consumption so now way you could put it on your garden. Any manure at all is not recommended to be applied directly to garden within a 3 month period of harvesting.

hooknline":3s4iv8z4 said:

With as many people who have pi$$ed in the ocean and you insist on eating fish caught in the ocean. Hate to say but there's no difference. On top of that, its organic so its gotta be good for you right?!

Do you realize that man is an animal also? What is the difference in our waste and a cows. With what a cow poops out would you eat a calf that ate the hay or the grass that a cow pooped on? Like Jo said, it's all organic. gs

Peeing in the ocean is diluted to parts per gazillion. Spraying a field with human waste might be diluted to parts per million. I know there isn't much difference, but its still nasty to think about

Well to me it is a matter of what to do with it.

we can recycle it to a productive use in natures own way,

or

we can treat it like trash and fill great holes with it or pile it up and make mountains out of it. usually in these cases it is encased in plastic to inure that it remains forever as a potential source of pollution and contamination in massive quantities.

heaven knows we would not want our tender sensibilities to be offended in any way. we don't want to think about it, we don't want to hear about it, we don't want to smell it, we don't want to deal with it in any way, and don't want to acknowledge that we had any role in producing it.

just more spoiled americans all wanting to take the easy road out and let someone else deal with the unpleasant aspects of life.

reminds me of horse owners I have seen bagging up their horse poo and leaving it with the garbage for the trash man to haul away. does nothing to relieve the percieved problem but transfers the problem to someone else.

Latest posts