waste from us as fertilizer

Help Support CattleToday:

cfpinz":1bjzbzqb said:
Not a single drop of that stuff will ever touch a piece of land that I own or lease again.
Do ou carry a plastic bag with you or a can?

I have a spreader truck the city will hire me to spread on my own place if they get more compost than they can get through their facality. We (they) test every year for heavy metals, mercury,PH and ect. The materials I am getting has very little plant food in it mostly humas. I have 16 yard spreader there is only about 220 lbs of 17-17-0 per load.

cfpinz":a3cfsqq4 said:
I lease a hay field that had human sludge applied to it for around 20 years, ended about 5 years ago. It was "managed" by the local service authority and extension service. My advice is to stay away from the sludge at all costs, it had that soil so far out of whack it wouldn't grow anything but weeds. We killed it, ran it thru a couple crop rotations and then planted it in OG and a legume mix. Between the county and myself, we've put an obscene amount of money into that field trying to get it to produce but it never yields the way it should. Not a single drop of that stuff will ever touch a piece of land that I own or lease again.
There is 3500 acres down the road they have been putting sludge on for as long as I can remember, from the City of Houston. It's some of the prettiest pastures I have ever seen. The soil is tested yearly. The run off goes into the Brazos river. There was great concern by many people about the hazards because of the runoff. Therefore it has probably been tested a great deal more than most.
If the county got involved in your property then I would assume they had it tested. What did they find? I cannot understand why it would kill off grass and not the weeds.

The metals were thru the roof, along with the P.

The ground still isn't productive compared to other parcels, the top soil there is thin with a layer of river jacks under it. I'm assuming the thin layer soaked up everything and concentrated the nutrients.

Kingfisher":244ya7bn said:
hooknline":244ya7bn said:
With all the stuff people flush down their toilets, would you personally eat any beef raised on that field, or any beef that ate hay off that field? Not me, no thank you
Right..........seems to make me sick even thinking about it.......

Time for a reallity check folks.
This SH** has been going on every square inch of soil for Billions of years . Thats what soil is mostly made up of . All the organic content anyhow. Cows sheep pigs goats chickens etc all live and eat on it all day long .

The Japanese still do it on sanded trays in country areas and it is buried each morning in a spot that will grow food in 6 months or so. My old man used to bury the can once a week or so in a garden spot and plant chokos there . See that and you realise the plants are craving it. Not liquid seaweed or the rest of that rubbish they try to sell you.

One of my septic tanks had a broken pipe and the tenant didn't bother to tell me for 6 months. The tank contents went dryish so when I fixed the pipe I had to remove at least half of the contents . Dug down with a shovel and into a bucket then to the garden . Each bucket would have had 50 big worms in it and heaps of small. Never seen the gardens take off like it before or after. Grew a jungle.

The problems are related to E colli in that when fresh germs are virulent. I think it was the Scottish, used to wipe their arrowheads on their bums before firing to infect the English.

Gangrene in a week sounds far fetched and wowserish , used to take the English months to die.

Truth is we ought be using it as fertiliser into and under the cropland neat without treatment where it will do all the natural stuff it has always done . This piping it all to a central place and treating it just causes problems there and dumping it in the ocean is scandalous. Put it in digesters too if it can be done then out and under the pasture

I lived in So. Korea a while back and human waste from the cities was the only fertilizer that I saw being applied to their fields. It was in solid form, looked like our chicken litter, delivered and applied the same way that we do litter here. The main thing that I noticed was that it had no bad smell. I assumed that it had been composted.

tytower; you're right to an extent, but to imply that human sewage has been treated as animal waste is a little misleading. as civilization has marched on so has the treatment of human sewage, ever seeking higher standards to control disease. a short while ago, waste used to be dischared into our streams and rivers until we saw the danger of that. to imply that because an asian nation fertilizes their fields with human waste, it's ok, is nonsense. if you talk to those people you'll find that it's not their first choice in sewage disposal. if this use of sewage is perfectly safe, why not notify the public what they're consuming? short of being an alarmist, i would like to see alot, and i mean alot more research on the subject and not just by university students subsidized by gov't grants. remember, this is the same gov't that approved all the drugs for human use that are now being withdrawn from the market place. seems odd for something the FDA said was safe for us. last but not least tytower, if i in any way misunderstood you or misrepresented your opinion, i extend my apology......

The US has one of the most abundant food supplies in the world and at the same time is the most wasteful nation in the world.
You stand a better chance of picking up some disease from a restaurant where the guy that made your food just picked his nose while preparing it than what you risk eating beef that ate grass that was fed sludge.
I feel that we have done so much with our scientific information that we have gotten to the point of no longer having an immune system that protects us from things that have always been there. (Personally I would rather die from some disease than suffer the humiliation of living out my final years in a rest home having my diaper changed and my bed sores treated.)
The benifit from recycleing human waste out ways the risks associated with it. It is part af a natural process in the cycle of life and should be used as such. One person in 10 millon is affected by something that occurs and the FDA finds a reason to ban the use of something that has benefited the masses for hundreds of years.

novatech":23u48u2j said:
I feel that we have done so much with our scientific information that we have gotten to the point of no longer having an immune system that protects us from things that have always been there.
I gotta agree with you there. My grandkids were raised with so much cleanliness and sterility that they're alwasy catching some kind of generic bug. Instead of being healthier I think the younger folks are actaully less healthy

i heard about a test some group did,, on a city sewer system,, just a teaspoon from it they found 11 differernt drugs... but a crop farmer here swears by it and they double crop.. their soil sample this year came back needing nothing......

Latest posts