Wasps - Ever heard this?

Help Support CattleToday:

Ouachita":1d3b8d4d said:
Margonme":1d3b8d4d said:
Ouachita":1d3b8d4d said:
I have no idea if there is any science behind the armpit method; never heard of it.
I do know this to be fact..........wasp and bees do not bother me. I think I can count the number of times I've been stung in my life, without having to pull my boots off.
It's very interesting to me why I and 4 of my 6 kids are not bothered by wasp, bees, mosquitoes, ticks, chiggers. I think body chemistry plays a part. My 4 of 6 were the recipients of my genetics more so than the other 2. These 4 of 6 are dark complexion like me, and you can tell I marked them well. I've a smorgasbord of genetics in my family tree, but mostly Italian, German, and Native American. My wife is predominantly Irish; fair skinned and beautiful, with what she refers to as strawberry blonde hair. All the boys (3), and one daughter took after me. The other 2 girls took after their mother; pale face white women. When we sit outside in the evening, my unlucky wife and 2 daughters are magnets for mosquitoes, ticks and chiggers, and they also are much more frequently stung by wasp and bees. I'm not smart enough to figure this out, but it is the truth.
I notice there are several new forum members since I frequented these forums previously. After reading their post, I am convinced that some may have a logical reason for what I am describing.
My pale face wife and I can hold hands walking through the woods or meadows. I'll not have an imbedded tick or chiggers. She will be covered if she doesn't employ the use of a deterrent, and then still, she will get loaded.

Your observations have merit. Scientist have studied the emissions of gases released around a human body. Small air samplers are used to collect samples. Analysis of the gases have revealed three categories of emissions:
1. Aromatic - tend to be unoffensive
2. Unpleasant- tends to repell most vertebrates
3. Toxic - smell like shyt and tastes twice as bad. Repells all ticks, wasps, flies and chiggers.

I think you and yours fall into the toxic category.
Margo,
I don't know enough about the science, and this has never bothered me enough to seek out professional help from folks like yourself that spend their lives ANALyzing these things with butt and crouch sniffing equipment. ;-)
I don't doubt there is a smell factor. I also know my Darling wife is a fine example of what a woman should smell like. I, on the other hand, am just a Ouachita Mountain hillbilly. Such is this case, I have to agree in part, and partly in principle with your educated revelation.
However, in light of the information I've at hand, including yours..........Well, Sir, your information doesn't pass the smell test :tiphat:

:cowboy:

Ouachita:

I would guess someone has studied the phenomenon you raise. It would make sense for makers of pest repellents.

Like you, I got other priorities. :cboy:

We use a stainless fire extinguisher and put some dish soap in the water. When you charge it up with compressed air you can spray nest from about 25 ft away. The soapy water messes their wings up and they fall on ground unable to fly. The fire extinguisher sprays a lot longer and further than spray cans and there is no poison so you can spray around house or barn and worst thing is something gets wet.

My Dad said that if you hold your breath they won't sting you never tried it. Did watch an experiment where a person had a bee suit on like bee keepers wear with a long hose about twenty feet behind him to exhale. The bees homed in on the end of the hose.

cowboy43":4hqwd8o5 said:
How often do the people that do this bath, they probably got a good case of body odor going on. :hide:
Bet if he'd run his hand down the crack of his a$$ and waved it at them they would have all fell off grave yard dead. :lol: :lol:

TexasBred":29rx5uvz said:
cowboy43":29rx5uvz said:
How often do the people that do this bath, they probably got a good case of body odor going on. :hide:
Bet if he'd run his hand down the crack of his a$$ and waved it at them they would have all fell off grave yard dead. :lol: :lol:

:lol:

TexasBred":2lkgidgq said:
cowboy43":2lkgidgq said:
Typical on CT forum. One person starts out with an armpit, then everything turns to shyt. ;-)
My previously related observation regarding skin complexion..........had absolutely nothing to do with color, as Jo suggested when he mentioned that beekeepers wear white. My observation has more to do with genetics and how they play a part in what I can only term as a predisposition that makes some of us more/less desirable to chics and tiggers, including all manner of stinging/biting and blood sucking critters.
I do not pretend to know anything about how or why, however my observations are real. Again, me knowing the answer likely would not change circumstance, but knowing would be really awesome.
Friday night I slept all night (well, from about midnight until 5:30am) on the bare ground in hopes of hearing/seeing the bear that has tore up one of my feeders. My youngest daughter went with me. She had several ticks on her and I had zero. We had both bathed the evening before we went out. I've had similar experiences with the other 2 (my wife and my oldest daughter). But myself and our other 4 kids (3 boys and one daughter; my middle of 3 daughters) are not attractive to these pest.
I'm not saying I've never had a tick imbedded, nor that I've never been stung by a wasp, just that it is so rare for me..........and so common for my wife and 2 of my 3 girls; the oldest and the youngest. It would be interesting to know what is in play here, that makes me stink :cowboy:

Ouachita":149ddiq0 said:
TexasBred":149ddiq0 said:
cowboy43":149ddiq0 said:
Typical on CT forum. One person starts out with an armpit, then everything turns to shyt. ;-)
My previously related observation regarding skin complexion..........had absolutely nothing to do with color, as Jo suggested when he mentioned that beekeepers wear white. My observation has more to do with genetics and how they play a part in what I can only term as a predisposition that makes some of us more/less desirable to chics and tiggers, including all manner of stinging/biting and blood sucking critters.
I do not pretend to know anything about how or why, however my observations are real. Again, me knowing the answer likely would not change circumstance, but knowing would be really awesome.
Friday night I slept all night (well, from about midnight until 5:30am) on the bare ground in hopes of hearing/seeing the bear that has tore up one of my feeders. My youngest daughter went with me. She had several ticks on her and I had zero. We had both bathed the evening before we went out. I've had similar experiences with the other 2 (my wife and my oldest daughter). But myself and our other 4 kids (3 boys and one daughter; my middle of 3 daughters) are not attractive to these pest.
I'm not saying I've never had a tick imbedded, nor that I've never been stung by a wasp, just that it is so rare for me..........and so common for my wife and 2 of my 3 girls; the oldest and the youngest. It would be interesting to know what is in play here, that makes me stink :cowboy:

Seriously, it has to do with metabolism. Not joking you this time. There is enough variation in how we all metabolize out inputs to cause different odors or in specific terms, chemicals to be released.

It also relates to eating habits. If you consume a lot of garlic, it can influence the chemicals we excrete through the skin.

Supposedly a study should that people with type O blood are more attractive to blood sucking insects. My wife is AB and the chiggers/ticks/skeeters/etc. just love her. Me (type O they pretty much ignore. So much for science

I love garlic, and so does my wife. Garlic is a part of almost every meal, and wee ALL eat it. I'm not disagreeing that diet/food intake does or does not have an effect, just that in my immediate family it doesn't appear to matter.
Now, how each one of us metabolize the garlic (or any other food stuff for this matter), remains a valid point of discussion.

Dun,
I've never considered blood type; Interesting to ponder, and I will check on this. I don't even remember my own blood type. I do have our medical records tucked away and will check this.

I think all of this is interesting and I surely don't know the answer only what I have observed. I work outdoors and I can't remember the last time I pulled a tick off me. Chiggers don't seem to like me and mosquitoes don't bother me like they do others even though I rarely wear repellent. Years ago I had some Haitians show me a few tricks they used to keep the pests at bay. One was drinking pickle juice or consuming a lot of pickled or vinegar based foods. These seem to make a difference and I increase my intake of pickled foods when the bugs come out. I also don't react to poison ivy or oak. I can roll in it and it won't bother me. This is thanks to a tea I drank which was made from the leaves years ago.

All this stuff may be folk medicine and may not mean anything but I believe it enough to continue doing it because it seems to work. For me anyway. Still haven't a clue how someone can reach their hand up to a wasp nest bare handed and pull it out without getting stung though in broad daylight. I've heard this several times and it always had to do with reaching under the armpit first. I think I'll pose this question to some of the old timers around town and see what they have to say.

Jogeephus":1kugfbhc said:
I think all of this is interesting and I surely don't know the answer only what I have observed. I work outdoors and I can't remember the last time I pulled a tick off me. Chiggers don't seem to like me and mosquitoes don't bother me like they do others even though I rarely wear repellent. Years ago I had some Haitians show me a few tricks they used to keep the pests at bay. One was drinking pickle juice or consuming a lot of pickled or vinegar based foods. These seem to make a difference and I increase my intake of pickled foods when the bugs come out. I also don't react to poison ivy or oak. I can roll in it and it won't bother me. This is thanks to a tea I drank which was made from the leaves years ago.

All this stuff may be folk medicine and may not mean anything but I believe it enough to continue doing it because it seems to work. For me anyway. Still haven't a clue how someone can reach their hand up to a wasp nest bare handed and pull it out without getting stung though in broad daylight. I've heard this several times and it always had to do with reaching under the armpit first. I think I'll pose this question to some of the old timers around town and see what they have to say.
Wife and I are both totally immune to poison ivy, just doesn;t affect us at all. But after she was bitten by a brown recluse 10 years or so ago she is violently allergic to bee/wasp stings. Skeeters even make her swell up.

dun":1eg3wzkf said:
Wife and I are both totally immune to poison ivy, just doesn;t affect us at all. But after she was bitten by a brown recluse 10 years or so ago she is violently allergic to bee/wasp stings. Skeeters even make her swell up.
Since i do bee removals and EVERYTHING where i live either stings or has a venomous bites, what i get a lot at removals is, "I'm allergic, they have to go".... And after chatting with them, the allergic danger is swelling of the sting sight... SMH... Well, everyone gets swelling, and the size is depending on just how hard they stung you.
When you say, violently allergic, what does that mean? To me the only allergic reaction that should be considered bad is anaphylactic shock or breathing difficulties that need an epi pen.. You get a swelling, well, thats what happens with a sting..

cowgirl8":5rv7fbl1 said:
dun":5rv7fbl1 said:
Since i do bee removals and EVERYTHING where i live either stings or has a venomous bites, what i get a lot at removals is, "I'm allergic, they have to go".... And after chatting with them, the allergic danger is swelling of the sting sight... SMH... Well, everyone gets swelling, and the size is depending on just how hard they stung you.
When you say, violently allergic, what does that mean? To me the only allergic reaction that should be considered bad is anaphylactic shock or breathing difficulties that need an epi pen.. You get a swelling, well, thats what happens with a sting..
Swelling as in a sting in her hand and her arm swells like a pumpkin and she can;t breathe. Skeeter bite that puffs up like an egg and gradually she turns bright red and can't breathe. Has to carry an epipen, I consider that serious.

Yeah, I'd consider that serious too. Breathing is an important part of our life experience. :mrgreen:

Jogeephus":3ricuzmf said:
Yeah, I'd consider that serious too. Breathing is an important part of our life experience. :mrgreen:
I get it a lot, so i always ask what happens if you are allergic...most times its not life threatening but the person thinks it is. There cant be that many people who get anaphylactic shock and or airways close up with wasp and bee stings... When i got swarmed by bumble bees, it was horribly painful, my face swelled and swelled eye shut, but i dont consider that bad...it happens..

Latest posts