Wasps - Ever heard this?

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
Wasps have been bad this year and we were talking about them the other day at work when a fella who had been stung about five times in the face while working on a car said a guy that was with him put his hand under his armpit then reached under the hood and grabbed the nest and tossed it out. He said the wasps never even flew or stung anyone.

I blew this off as BS but later remembered I'd heard before. Maybe two other times in my life. Not saying I believe it but its interesting that I've heard the same thing so many times. Anyone else hear this? And no, even if you give me assurances this works I'm not about to try it ....... well maybe if I'm real drunk and you double dog dare me. That aside, I'm just curious if this is some old rural legend or is there anything to this.

slick4591":2n4sl6qs said:
I've seen my dad do that a number of times when I was a kid. I always figured him a little crazy for doing it.
same here. once, he took a little whisk broom and brushed the wasps off the nest and then pulled it down. I tried it when older, and they made an example of me.

slick4591":tbxeklby said:
I've seen my dad do that a number of times when I was a kid. I always figured him a little crazy for doing it.

Did he rub his hand under his armpit?

Clearing wasp nest from a tobacco barn before you start housing is just part of the job. I have heard the same thing, and seen it done both successfully, and unsuccessfullly. As most know, early early of a morning, they are not very active. Grabbing the whole nest, with leather gloves, and wadding everything in it and on it up, is the method I use the most.

Maybe its just the element of surprise.. I cant see it working with the wasp we have around here. And even if you were able to grab the nest and pull it off, you have guys flying around who will hang around and harass..

Jogeephus":37wda90x said:
slick4591":37wda90x said:

Did he rub his hand under his armpit?

I don't guess I remember that part. All I remember is him grabbing them and wadding. When he threw them to the ground any that moved got the foot rub.

when we was hanging tobacco and the wasps got stirred up daddy would always say hold your breath they won't sting you the whole time they'd be lighting you up. you didn't dare quit hanging tobacco though tobacco stick on the butt was worse than the wasps. I sure don't miss those days one bit.

I have no idea if there is any science behind the armpit method; never heard of it.
I do know this to be fact..........wasp and bees do not bother me. I think I can count the number of times I've been stung in my life, without having to pull my boots off.
It's very interesting to me why I and 4 of my 6 kids are not bothered by wasp, bees, mosquitoes, ticks, chiggers. I think body chemistry plays a part. My 4 of 6 were the recipients of my genetics more so than the other 2. These 4 of 6 are dark complexion like me, and you can tell I marked them well. I've a smorgasbord of genetics in my family tree, but mostly Italian, German, and Native American. My wife is predominantly Irish; fair skinned and beautiful, with what she refers to as strawberry blonde hair. All the boys (3), and one daughter took after me. The other 2 girls took after their mother; pale face white women. When we sit outside in the evening, my unlucky wife and 2 daughters are magnets for mosquitoes, ticks and chiggers, and they also are much more frequently stung by wasp and bees. I'm not smart enough to figure this out, but it is the truth.
I notice there are several new forum members since I frequented these forums previously. After reading their post, I am convinced that some may have a logical reason for what I am describing.
My pale face wife and I can hold hands walking through the woods or meadows. I'll not have an imbedded tick or chiggers. She will be covered if she doesn't employ the use of a deterrent, and then still, she will get loaded.

Ouachita":xsaclnql said:
I have no idea if there is any science behind the armpit method; never heard of it.
I do know this to be fact..........wasp and bees do not bother me. I think I can count the number of times I've been stung in my life, without having to pull my boots off.
It's very interesting to me why I and 4 of my 6 kids are not bothered by wasp, bees, mosquitoes, ticks, chiggers. I think body chemistry plays a part. My 4 of 6 were the recipients of my genetics more so than the other 2. These 4 of 6 are dark complexion like me, and you can tell I marked them well. I've a smorgasbord of genetics in my family tree, but mostly Italian, German, and Native American. My wife is predominantly Irish; fair skinned and beautiful, with what she refers to as strawberry blonde hair. All the boys (3), and one daughter took after me. The other 2 girls took after their mother; pale face white women. When we sit outside in the evening, my unlucky wife and 2 daughters are magnets for mosquitoes, ticks and chiggers, and they also are much more frequently stung by wasp and bees. I'm not smart enough to figure this out, but it is the truth.
I notice there are several new forum members since I frequented these forums previously. After reading their post, I am convinced that some may have a logical reason for what I am describing.
My pale face wife and I can hold hands walking through the woods or meadows. I'll not have an imbedded tick or chiggers. She will be covered if she doesn't employ the use of a deterrent, and then still, she will get loaded.
You actually might be on to something. I am dark skinned and dark haired. My father in law is red headed fair skinned. We were blackberry picking together several years ago. When we got back he pulled 18 ticks off of him. I did not have a tick.

Ouachita":1ygafub2 said:

Your observations have merit. Scientist have studied the emissions of gases released around a human body. Small air samplers are used to collect samples. Analysis of the gases have revealed three categories of emissions:
1. Aromatic - tend to be unoffensive
2. Unpleasant- tends to repell most vertebrates
3. Toxic - smell like shyt and tastes twice as bad. Repells all ticks, wasps, flies and chiggers.

I think you and yours fall into the toxic category.

Jogeephus":1lkmgeux said:
Wasps have been bad this year and we were talking about them the other day at work when a fella who had been stung about five times in the face while working on a car said a guy that was with him put his hand under his armpit then reached under the hood and grabbed the nest and tossed it out. He said the wasps never even flew or stung anyone.

I blew this off as BS but later remembered I'd heard before. Maybe two other times in my life. Not saying I believe it but its interesting that I've heard the same thing so many times. Anyone else hear this? And no, even if you give me assurances this works I'm not about to try it ....... well maybe if I'm real drunk and you double dog dare me. That aside, I'm just curious if this is some old rural legend or is there anything to this.

I've heard this numerous times from reputable sources. Never witnessed it. And like you I'm not going to try it as long as I can afford a pint of gas and find a plastic bottle to cut the top out of. Gas is king when killing wasps. Dish detergent and water works well enough to keep you from getting stung. And PB Blaster will knock em on down. But gas is instant death. As is ether.

JMJ Farms":2q0ekqvt said:
Jogeephus":2q0ekqvt said:

I've heard this numerous times from reputable sources. Never witnessed it. And like you I'm not going to try it as long as I can afford a pint of gas and find a plastic bottle to cut the top out of. Gas is king when killing wasps. Dish detergent and water works well enough to keep you from getting stung. And PB Blaster will knock em on down. But gas is instant death. As is ether.
Ether doesn't spray or wet enough.. Brake cleaner is awesome though.. If you've ever gotten a drop in your eyes you start to pity the wasps!
I can't say I'm a magnet or repellent to insects.. I get stung once in a while, usually because a wasp has a death wish and lands somewhere I'll pinch it.

Never forget the time I used the old outhouse, Sit my butt down and there starts to be a buzzing around me.. I got my pants on REAL fast, the outhouse was a little ricketty and I guess the hornets nest on the outside got bothered.. I made it to safety but did have a couple stings.

Nesikep":32mf3ff7 said:
JMJ Farms":32mf3ff7 said:
Jogeephus":32mf3ff7 said:

Ether doesn't spray or wet enough.. Brake cleaner is awesome though.. If you've ever gotten a drop in your eyes you start to pity the wasps!
I can't say I'm a magnet or repellent to insects.. I get stung once in a while, usually because a wasp has a death wish and lands somewhere I'll pinch it.

Never forget the time I used the old outhouse, Sit my butt down and there starts to be a buzzing around me.. I got my pants on REAL fast, the outhouse was a little ricketty and I guess the hornets nest on the outside got bothered.. I made it to safety but did have a couple stings.

Nesikep if those had been Georgia hornets you would have been just as well off to leave your pants down! That way you wouldn't have had to clean the shyt outta your drawers :lol:

Margonme":2s9jvdja said:
Ouachita":2s9jvdja said:

Your observations have merit. Scientist have studied the emissions of gases released around a human body. Small air samplers are used to collect samples. Analysis of the gases have revealed three categories of emissions:
1. Aromatic - tend to be unoffensive
2. Unpleasant- tends to repell most vertebrates
3. Toxic - smell like shyt and tastes twice as bad. Repells all ticks, wasps, flies and chiggers.

I think you and yours fall into the toxic category.
Margo,
I don't know enough about the science, and this has never bothered me enough to seek out professional help from folks like yourself that spend their lives ANALyzing these things with butt and crouch sniffing equipment. ;-)
I don't doubt there is a smell factor. I also know my Darling wife is a fine example of what a woman should smell like. I, on the other hand, am just a Ouachita Mountain hillbilly. Such is this case, I have to agree in part, and partly in principle with your educated revelation.
However, in light of the information I've at hand, including yours..........Well, Sir, your information doesn't pass the smell test :tiphat:

I used to work turpentine woods and the guys who had been doing it a long time had lots of tricks to keep insects off them but most of this had to do with diet and had nothing to do with color so I have doubts if it has anything to do with color especially when research on killer bees show that dark colors are stung something like seven times more than lighter colors but they said lighter colors would attract insects but these would more pestering inquisitive visits than aggressive visits. Dark colors like black or brown are thought to be viewed as threats like a bear or a skunk.

I don't know the answer but if I was betting my money would be on something other than their light skin especially since this is why beekeepers tend to wear white.

Okay. I'm going with the toxic stink theory. This does not bother me, as long as my Darlin companion doesn't kick me out of bed, I don't care. In fact, my being a faithful follower of humor, I've already embraced the concept......I stink, I accept this, and do not plan to change.........so long as it keeps the ticks and chiggers away.?

Latest posts