Wasps - Ever heard this?

Help Support CattleToday:

Margonme":14t4ts95 said:
Ouachita":14t4ts95 said:
Commercialfarmer":14t4ts95 said:
This has been talked about on here before by someone. Was it cow polinator that did that?
Yes it was. It was the first time I'd heard of it, so I followed that thread.

Growing up, there was a farmer who kept honey bees. He would let them sting his hands. Said it helped his arthritis. Lawrence Barry. I never believed it. It seemed to me that the effects of the sting would not treat the ailment but only cloak it. He also drank all the time. Smoked too. Always wore a felt dress hat, bib overalls, and brogan shoes.

If I were to speculate, two processes might be in play.

One being the release of endorphines (body's natural pain medicine) by the brain in response to the pain from the bee sting. The bee sting being acute and more intense causing a response by the brain, where the arthritis is more of a chronic dull pain that the brain has become acustomed to.

Second, the effect of the endorphines could have a longer lasting effect by means of the wind up theory of pain fibers. Theory is, that once a pain stimulous is initiated, the nerve carrying the signal is more sensitive to stimulation.

If you can block this signal and "wind up", the nerve will be less sensitive. Because of this, a bigger stimulous at the tissue level is needed to cause the nerve to send the message the brain that a painful stimulous is present.

If the bee sting causes endorphine release, the endorphines aren't specific to the nerve fibers of the bee sting only. They get released in the system as a whole. So they block the bee pain and the arthritic pain.

If the arthritic pain had been heightened by increased recent use, weather, or just more sensitive due to wind up... the temporary block by the endorphine could in some people increase the threshold for stimulus enough to provide them ongoing relief for a while.

True, it isn't a cure, more of a management. Being the case with anything you have to do over and over.

Is there some other unknown factor in bee venom? I say speculate, because who knows if there might be other factors. (Same time, who knows percentage of adverse reactions? Would expect some small percent of anaphylaxis as will happen with any foreign substance.)

Interestingly while talking about factors and bees.. honey, a dawn of time tradition of antimicrobial treatment of wounds was thought work similar to sugar, another dawn of time surface antimicrobial agent (when used correctly, it's like throwing a fresh water fish in the ocean). Oldest documented use I'm familiar with is Jewish King Hezechia, I believe. He was dying and they applied fig cakes to his wounds, successfully treating him.

But with honey, more recently certain kinds of honey have been shown to be more effective. The best being manuka honey, which is honey from the manuka flower in new zealand.

The factor is labeled- UMF, unknown manuka factor. It can keep bacteria from being able to form what is called a biofilm which can allow them to hide in it and escape being killed by antibiotics.

This age old therapy is coming back in favor as a tool to be used for resistant bacteria on surfaces. Not a cureall, but has a place.

Commercialfarmer":3u53e83i said:
Margonme":3u53e83i said:
Ouachita":3u53e83i said:
Yes it was. It was the first time I'd heard of it, so I followed that thread.

Growing up, there was a farmer who kept honey bees. He would let them sting his hands. Said it helped his arthritis. Lawrence Barry. I never believed it. It seemed to me that the effects of the sting would not treat the ailment but only cloak it. He also drank all the time. Smoked too. Always wore a felt dress hat, bib overalls, and brogan shoes.

If I were to speculate, two processes might be in play.

One being the release of endorphines (body's natural pain medicine) by the brain in response to the pain from the bee sting. The bee sting being acute and more intense causing a response by the brain, where the arthritis is more of a chronic dull pain that the brain has become acustomed to.

Second, the effect of the endorphines could have a longer lasting effect by means of the wind up theory of pain fibers. Theory is, that once a pain stimulous is initiated, the nerve carrying the signal is more sensitive to stimulation.

If you can block this signal and "wind up", the nerve will be less sensitive. Because of this, a bigger stimulous at the tissue level is needed to cause the nerve to send the message the brain that a painful stimulous is present.

If the bee sting causes endorphine release, the endorphines aren't specific to the nerve fibers of the bee sting only. They get released in the system as a whole. So they block the bee pain and the arthritic pain.

If the arthritic pain had been heightened by increased recent use, weather, or just more sensitive due to wind up... the temporary block by the endorphine could in some people increase the threshold for stimulus enough to provide them ongoing relief for a while.

True, it isn't a cure, more of a management. Being the case with anything you have to do over and over.

Is there some other unknown factor in bee venom? I say speculate, because who knows if there might be other factors. (Same time, who knows percentage of adverse reactions? Would expect some small percent of anaphylaxis as will happen with any foreign substance.)

Interestingly while talking about factors and bees.. honey, a dawn of time tradition of antimicrobial treatment of wounds was thought work similar to sugar, another dawn of time surface antimicrobial agent (when used correctly, it's like throwing a fresh water fish in the ocean). Oldest documented use I'm familiar with is Jewish King Hezechia, I believe. He was dying and they applied fig cakes to his wounds, successfully treating him.

But with honey, more recently certain kinds of honey have been shown to be more effective. The best being manuka honey, which is honey from the manuka flower in new zealand.

The factor is labeled- UMF, unknown manuka factor. It can keep bacteria from being able to form what is called a biofilm which can allow them to hide in it and escape being killed by antibiotics.

This age old therapy is coming back in favor as a tool to be used for resistant bacteria on surfaces. Not a cureall, but has a place.

Venom is often complex. In snakes, it is largely proteins and enzymes. Your speculation is interesting.

There is other weird shyt my wife does that has kept us 100% free of antibiotics use for ourselves and our children, for just shy of 20 years. When I call her the witch doctor, she just gives me that semi-evil-sexy bedroom smile. Then she heals me.
Now that I think about it, it could be venom.

Latest posts