warts

Help Support CattleToday:

starbaby

Reaction score
what are cow warts , how do they get them ,are they contagious ,will my donkey get them,and how do I get rid of them ?

Bovine papillomavirus are contagious to toher cattle but I don;t think they are to humans as they are species specific. There are probably as many treatments as there are people whose cattle have them. If you really have to do something, pull off a couple so they bleed. That will kick in the cows immune system to fight them.

They are a virus. It seems like they all have a break out at one time or another, then they build up some antibodies against them and you don't see them anymore. Most often seen in younger cattle. You can leave them alone and they eventually drop off.
In the case of the cattle that I show, I remove them. I have never had a donkey or the horses get them from the cows.

Most of my yearling heifers get them, it's not pretty but it's nothing I worry about either.. .Sofa got one on her forhead... didn't take long for her to squash it fighting another cow!

A friend at work was always talking about the ugly cow with warts he got cheap. He said that he had her for three years. About a month ago he said she died. He did not know if the warts were a culprit or not. Is it possible for a cow to die from a high number of warts? Dan

I'm just guessing here, but perhaps if she had that many warts, she had some problem with her immune system, and that got her?

daniel.carver":c37ogxcf said:
A friend at work was always talking about the ugly cow with warts he got cheap. He said that he had her for three years. About a month ago he said she died. He did not know if the warts were a culprit or not. Is it possible for a cow to die from a high number of warts? Dan
The "warts" may have not been warts at all, but a type of cancer tumor.
Or as Nesi said, the warts were secondary due to a poor immune system.
Being a virus, they usually mount some immunity to them and you don't see them as much in older cows.

branguscowgirl":30zfin5t said:
daniel.carver":30zfin5t said:
The "warts" may have not been warts at all,

The "warts" quite possibly could have been Sarcoids, Squamous Cell Carcinoma. Just a possibility. Without actually taking a biopsy, we'll never know for sure.

Katherine

I just cut them off and before long not a wart to be found. And I have not seen a warts on older cows.

Warts definitely will spread to other animals that share the same water or feed trough so if you see them get them in the chute and take a pair of pliers and rip off what you can so they dry up and heal. That was one of the most annoying things to deal with when we had show cattle, seemed like once 1 heifer got them it was only a matter of time before more of them did because they all share the same place to drink and eat. Same goes for ringworm and lice, treat that stuff ASAP once you detect it on an animal else it will spread quickly and become a lot bigger mess to treat.

dun":11p6w3qs said:
If you really have to do something, pull off a couple so they bleed. That will kick in the cows immune system to fight them.

I remember an old neighbor (R.I.P.)
He would treat ringworm by brushing on new motor oil; not used bcs of possible lead contamination.
For warts he would rip them off, so they bled then force fed them back to the animal.
He claimed it strengthen their immune system and worked as sort of a vaccine to keep them from coming back.

Latest posts