Warts on calves

Help Support CattleToday:

Betsy44

Reaction score
Hi,

I a new to this forum - hoping I can get some help in regards to warts. I have a Belted Galloway Calf which is 1 year old with an extreme case of warts. (picture attached)

They are bleeding and the smell is terrible, he also makes weird sounds when he eats.

Are there any treatments or solutions anyone knows of? In Australia we don't seem to have to vaccinations for it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

:)

Search topics for "warts". It was discussed in detail.
Your pic did not come through. You will have to upload to a photo bucket account first. :D
"Weird sounds when he eats" is pretty vague. Can you please tell us more?

:welcome:

Cut some off and feed them to him.
Wait for them to just go away.
Burn them off with a hot iron.
Rub acetone on each wart.
Freeze them.
Stick them in stump water, in the light of a full moon.
Like the old saying, "More then one way to skin a cat", well there's more then one way to get rid of warts.

Sim, there are a few of those suggestions of yours that I do not recommend! :lol:
With all due respect..... :tiphat:

Trying to upload photo not sure what I am doing wrong.
I have researched and have taken on board the information.
However, some of the suggestions like removing them and feeding it to him, I am unable
To do as they are way to big.

branguscowgirl":jiig77ji said:
Sim, there are a few of those suggestions of yours that I do not recommend! :lol:
The stump water in moon light isn't that bad! :lol2:

sim.-ang.king":2t2wgghm said:
branguscowgirl":2t2wgghm said:
The stump water in moon light isn't that bad! :lol2:
Could be fun anyway! :lol:

It is too late for vaccines - for prevention, not treatment. In fact, your calf likely became immune before the warts showed up (takes a couple months after initial infection for warts to show). But just takes time for the warts to go away, which they will on their own. So if you want the credit for recovery, make sure you treat with something before they go away.

https://www.extension.purdue.edu/extmedia/VY/VY-58.html

Warts usually shrink and drop off after a few months. The spontaneous recovery has probably been the basis for the alleged effectiveness of many regimes of treatment-including several kinds of oil, toothpaste of various brands, wart pinching, or twisting off close to the base. Any of these appear to be successful if the warts regress spontaneously.

Multiple injections of vaccines have been credited for being an effective cure. Vaccines are considered to protect cattle, but they have not been found to be of value in treatment. Warts can be removed surgically with a scissors or a side cutter. Bleeding can be controlled, if a problem, with silver nitrate applicator sticks. A wound spray should be applied to prevent problems with flies. Healing is rapid and the animals should be show-eligible in a few days. Usually the warts do not recur.

Proper disinfection of tack, tagging pliers, and tattooing instruments will prevent the spread of the wart virus.

Latest posts