Cattle ear warts

Help Support CattleToday:

Twinhollies

Reaction score
One of our calves( 10 months old) has huge warts in one of her ears. We removed several of them about 7 weeks ago. Within 2 weeks they were coming back and now they are so much bigger than before. They are so big that her ear hangs and is actually starting to fold inside out. She also has some small ones by her eyes and in her other ear. Our vet recommends getting her out of our herd. this is probably a dumb question, but I'm going to ask it anyway... If we have her slaughtered, will the meat be ok to eat? I didn't know if the virus would affect the meat or not.
Or, if anyone has any other suggestions as how to get rid of the warts, I'm all ears...

Thanks for any information or thoughts!

The warts will go away once her system decides to develop a solution. I have one now and then that gets warts. I have never seen it spread to our other calves. Cows have already developed an immunity.
My grandfather would cut the warts off and feed them back to the calf. He said it triggered the immune system when they ingested the virus. They would eventually fall off and he smiled. They probably would have fallen off just as fast if left alone.

The warts will not affect the meat.

Latest posts