Warts

Help Support CattleToday:

agcntry

Reaction score
Have some steers and it looks like they have warts on their necks. What is the best way to treat them, or is it even worth worrying about?

Put them through the chute and if they are large with a narrow base, just grab them with your thumb and index finger and rip them off. If they are harder to pull off, just get a pair of scissors and snip them off. It doesn't hurt to leave them on, but they are an eyesore.

take a pair of pliers and make them bloody. that goes and takes the virus through the body and the body makes an antibody against the virus and then it will get rid of the rest of the warts

agcntry":22ggqu1h said:
Have some steers and it looks like they have warts on their necks. What is the best way to treat them, or is it even worth worrying about?

Put rotten bannanas on the warts everyday, or go to sullivans.com they have a wart vaccine i used both methods and they work. With pulling the warts off if you dont get the whole wart they'll come back. And yes you need to get them off they are infectious other cattle will get them.

If it wasn't show cattle, I would just leave them. They will eventually go away by themselves. We once bought a heifer that had warts, we just left it, went away by itself.

One of my show steers had a few small warts on it's neck. I used the over the counter wart medication twice daily and they eventually shrivelled up and we pulled them off without hurting the steer too much. Luckily he was easy to work with and didnt mind me messing with him twice a day.

pinch all of them off with pliers or sissors and them put them in the animals feed and it acts as a natural vaccine and it will kill the warts from comng back

i have never used the wart vaccine so i dont know how it works but this way has allways worked for us

and get them when they are small dont let them get to big or then it may become a bigger problem

Tx-beefmaster-showman":1eoac1gw said:
I am just hoping to God that you are joking about the whole biting the wart off thing. Please reply

me to. pulling them off with pliars is gross enough, no less biting them!

One of my friends who raises steers had a large wart grow in the ear of his steer. So he called a vet out and all the vet did was cut off a small portion of the wart, chop it up, mix it with some water, suck it up into a syringe, then injected IM. The body made its own antibodies and the steer didnt have any more warts after that.

I thought feeding the warts back to them was nuts! But we had some warts on one of the steers so I thought what the heck lets try it. IT WORKED!!!

I wonder if it works on people? :shock: :lol: :lol: :p

rancherswife":304zt761 said:
I thought feeding the warts back to them was nuts! But we had some warts on one of the steers so I thought what the heck lets try it. IT WORKED!!!

I wonder if it works on people? :shock: :lol: :lol: :p

After pulling them off, feeding them to your second cousins mother in laws dog would have had the same effect. The eating them doesn;t do the job, it;s the pulling.tearing.cytting them that does it.

Wart virus will run it's course no matter what you do. There's some thought that damaging the wart causes the body to respond to the irritation causing type of some immune response. But sometimes not, and sometimes the warts come back in a greater number.

They occur in young animals and they usually become immune with time. I was serious about coloring them. I like the rhinestone idea. I don't bite my cows, it annoys them and they won't stand still, .

Latest posts