Warts

Help Support CattleToday:

Lord, there are a million ways to get rid of warts but, when all is said and done, if you just leave them alone they will go away on their own. Much simpler, less time consumptive, and less stress on the animal!

Make them bleed. Yank off any you can with pliers or forceps or even fingers. Seems to provoke an immune response that gets rid of the others. Or it may be my imagination and they'd have been gone the same time whether I did it or not. But it makes me feel better to do something.

vs_cattle":snp5r71c said:
Is there something out on the market that I can use?

There is some kind of ointment that you can get from the show supply places, but it has to be applied once or twice a day. I don't think it does much. No magic bullet.

I had a calf with a bad case of warts one on his neck was the size of a baseball. I asked the vet about a wart vaccine I had seen in valley vet supply he said it was not that effective the best way was to make them bleed as stated earlier on your post or normally at 18 months of age they will fall off seems to only be a problem in adolesint cattle.

There is a vaccine for warts. Sorry I don't remember the name.
I got it one time for a milk cow I had that developed warts. It took just two shots. They were gone after that.
Cow wouldn't let us touch them, so scrapping them off or pulling them off was not an option.

I was wondering because she was gonna be shown in May but I rather not show her yet until it clears up I dont want to be the laughing stock
- Isaac V

vs_cattle":vfwljh1q said:
I was wondering because she was gonna be shown in May but I rather not show her yet until it clears up I dont want to be the laughing stock
- Isaac V

Most shows will not allow you to unload cattle with visible warts. Get after them right away with curved scissors, pliers, forceps or whatever it takes to get them off. Check inside the ears as well. Check close to the eyes too, because they'll get them there too.

If you can't get them cut or pulled off, try strong iodine painted on with a cotton swab or the freeze stuff marketed for people.

jkwilson":21vxvcwg said:
vs_cattle":21vxvcwg said:
- Isaac V

Most shows will not allow you to unload cattle with visible warts. Get after them right away with curved scissors, pliers, forceps or whatever it takes to get them off. Check inside the ears as well. Check close to the eyes too, because they'll get them there too.

If you can't get them cut or pulled off, try strong iodine painted on with a cotton swab or the freeze stuff marketed for people.

If they dont clear up by mid may then I will wait until Sep to show at the next county fair

Latest posts