Warts

Help Support CattleToday:

Farmer Z

Reaction score
Hey Y'all - I've got a little problem with warts. I bought three heifers a few months ago. One of them has a pretty fair case of warts...mostly in the shoulder/head area. The other two are as clean as a whistle. I've only had this once before (with a young bull). As I recall, the warts on him eventually just went away. This warty heifer is about 14 months old. Any advice?

Do a search on this site for warts and you will find all kinds of information/ remedies. It has been discussed extensively. Good Luck to you.

I bought nine heifers last fall........one developed warts that went away in about a month, without treatment.

Warts are caused by a virus, (papoloama (not sure if i spelled it right)). It is pretty much harmless except for the cosmetic problems. There are wart vaccines, like taking a shot in the dark. You have to be get the exact strain, to prevent warts that is present on your place. You can take needle nose pliers and pull them off, spray with iodine and rub with mineral oil, or you can Forget about the warts. The warts will fall off and that animal will not have them again, useually take 3-8 weeks for the warts to fall off. Sometimes the warts seem to get pretty bad right before the start disappearing. Kind of like the darkest hour is before dawn.

One of my heifers gots something on her neck and shoulders do they almost look like ticks but their not purple in color they might be warts their close together almost like a little family is the a reg. trait of warts or is this something else
Thanks

Latest posts