warts

Help Support CattleToday:

holly heifer

Reaction score
:x Both my show heifers( herefords) have warts, small, located on the head and neck, one has only one, the other has
three. How do i get rid of them? :shock:

buckaroo_bif":2dbup5k4 said:
Try pinching them with a pair of pliers till it bleeds. And don't touch them!
bif

Or you can ignore them and they'll go away on their own

dun

dun":1yvkwfnp said:
buckaroo_bif":1yvkwfnp said:
bif

Or you can ignore them and they'll go away on their own

dun

Yeah, they are ugly and you do not like them - wonder why it is that show animals get them - have not had any on this place for years. I hope I did not just jinx myself.

Suspect it is because they are contagious and you are exposing them to all sorts of things when in the ring.

They will eventualy go away,

Bez!

The pinching with a pliers works the best. You don't need to rip them off, just break them open 'till they bleed. Theory is that will get the calves natural response to recognize the virus, and create an immunity to it. They seem to go away with in a couple weeks after that. I have also heard of people cutting them off then feed them to the animal too?

Bez said:
Yeah, they are ugly and you do not like them - wonder why it is that show animals get them - have not had any on this place for years. I hope I did not just jinx myself.

Suspect it is because they are contagious and you are exposing them to all sorts of things when in the ring.

They will eventualy go away,

Bez!

It may just be that nobody ever notices them on general stock because you aren't ever handling them so closely.

They are very contagious, and your clippers, halters, tattoo pliers and chute can transfer them easily.

some of my calves get them occasionally.. some i leave alone and some i pinch.. i guess it depends on whether i have them in a chute and think about it or not.. either way.. they go away in time.

jt

buckaroo_bif":2vmvehhw said:
bif
Why not touch them? I have worked animals that have had them before and touched them while working them and never had any adverse side affects.?.?

SSS ANGUS you can get warts just as easy they are of the same virus most of the time that affect humans.

Latest posts