Warts

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
We just got 17 Hereford heifers (14-15 mos. old). They are a really nice set but one of them has some serious warts all over her neck. None of the others have any. Should I try to treat and get rid of them? Or should I leave them to get rid of themselves? The only way I've ever done it is pulling them off with pliers or cutting them off.

If you take the pliers and smash them, it will speed up the body 's immune response. Otherwise, the body will do its job without the effort.

one of them has some serious warts all over her neck. None of the others have any.
You forgot to add "yet" after "any". :lol: Warts & ringworm goes with the territory when you have calves/young cattle...its a rite of passage into adult hood e.g. a non lethal challenge to the immune system. You can drive yourself nuts trying to expedite the finale of either but unless you're into show cattle, ignoring both is the logical option.
FWIW...I do take note of those in an affected group who were unscathed.

There are some really bad cases of warts, and especially if they're on the face, eyes, etc you probably ought to take action against them.. a few warts here and there.. Meh, they'll deal with them

My grandfather told me about an old farmer technique they used in Georgia when he was young. Soak the wart with castor oil. He said castor oil cures all ailments in any animal, including humans. According to my dad, my grandfather truly believed it worked especially well on his six kids. They learned to never cough or sneeze around him!

Any, we had a show steer with warts, so my grandfather coated them with the castor oil and within one to two weeks they had vanished. I'm sure the warts were at the end of their life cycle, but it gave my grandfather a chance for another "I told you so" moment! :)

Gators Rule":1k3zwmak said:
My grandfather told me about an old farmer technique they used in Georgia when he was young. Soak the wart with castor oil. He said castor oil cures all ailments in any animal, including humans. According to my dad, my grandfather truly believed it worked especially well on his six kids. They learned to never cough or sneeze around him!

Any, we had a show steer with warts, so my grandfather coated them with the castor oil and within one to two weeks they had vanished. I'm sure the warts were at the end of their life cycle, but it gave my grandfather a chance for another "I told you so" moment! :)
Castor oil works for warts on humans.