Warts on teats??

Help Support CattleToday:

nagwag

Reaction score
One of my cows this summer hads these "warts" show up on her back 2 teats. None of my neighbors had seen anything like these before. I E-mailed the pictures to the vet clinic & the vet E-mailed back that he thought it was herpes. I was able to get rid of them by spraying the warts with iodine and them rubbing bag balm on the teats. I did this 3 times & eventually the warts fell off. The teats are now back to normal. Has anyone ever seen or dealt with these before? Are they warts? Your responses are appreciated.

cows_bag_001.jpg

cows_bag_005.jpg

Yuk - I've never seen that before and I've been doing this all my life! calves occasionally break out with warts, mostly on their faces and necks and they just sorta run their course, I've never worried about it much - doesn't seem to bother them and it does go away on it's own. But I've sure never seen them on the udder before - although our cows are on mountain pasture all summer so I guess it's possible that they have had it and gotten over it and I've never seen it?

I may be wrong but from the picture they look to be badly chapped and dry and cracked open. Are you sure they are warts and if they had been what you put on them I dont think would have taken them off. I think the bag balm moisturized them and they healed. I have seen cows look this way and that was the problem. I had a cow have twins this year and they wore her out pretty good and hers looked similar.

feelnrite - Thanks for the post. I didn't mention in my first post that this cow did have twins on her this year. I'm not sure if they were warts, but that is what I called them. After I treated them the second time, I was able to pull the dried skin / cap off and underneath there was a smaller projection. I just hope that she doesn't have this "condition" come back next year!