calf sucking 3 teats

Help Support CattleToday:

gitnby

Reaction score
had week old calf only sucking 3 teats...one front teat swelled up with milk before she calved ,got so big calf wouldnt take it...made large sore between bag quarters where it rubbed. wife went to co-op .for some salve for her....she picked up some milk tubes...first time i had ever used them...im sure lots of you all have,but if not i highly recomend them....much easier than milking out by hand....just insert in teat and milk flows out...makes a world of difference...i'll never be without one again

Seems some like to make extra work for themselves handling beef cows as if they were dairy cows.
Indians never salved buffalo udders or tubed teats.
Teats have natural sealant barrier to help prevent bacteria infections, tubes are a good way of making a highway for bacteria.
my 2 cents

Seems some like to make extra work for themselves handling beef cows as if they were dairy cows.
Indians never salved buffalo udders or tubed teats.
Teats have natural sealant barrier to help prevent bacteria infections, tubes are a good way of making a highway for bacteria.
my 2 cents
Did they actually milk bison???

U just had to bring it up

Milk needles are ok to use . Try to boil or disinfect each time and if you do more than one quarter, use different needles . I had good luck back when my dad and I had Shorthorns.

I've used the teat cannulas in extreme cases; essentially cows that were already destined for the trailer after this last calf. Yes, it does relieve the pressure. But yes, it's also an easy way for a bacterial infection in an already compromised teat/udder.

Did they actually milk bison?
No, they used buffalo for "beef" and every other imaginable thing, but not dairy.
There is a subset of Native Americans with a higher % of lactose intolerance than Europeans,
Theory is thousands of years not using dairy.
Native American genetics also lacks enzyme that breaks down alcohol, so that alcohol hits them faster, harder and longer
than Europeans.

Mongolian nomads drink fermented milk "Kumiss" produced by horses. No record of Native Americans ever milking horses.

Last edited: