Warm Cattle Feeding

Help Support CattleToday:

Angus Guy

Reaction score
Was talking to my the other day and told her it would be nice to feed cows some where that you only have to wear a sweathirt. Wonder if you guys and gals down south can tell me what it's like?

sidney411":8skoso7q said:
Sweatshirt? Heck, I'm still wearing T-shirts, been in the 70's here.

Ditto.

Long sleeve shirt in the morning, by 10am just the t shirt

Im wondering how much daylight you have in Texas at this time of the year--were dark here by 5 oclock and not light till about 8.30 a.m.-what your temperature is at night? weather wise whats your biggest problem raiseing cattle?--were haveing a pretty mild winter in manitoba Can. and actually I think the cattle look better when its cold ,I know in cold weather scours when were calving is a lot less problems (actually not to many diseases can survive in our soil over our winters )

Carlos D.":1f4zu5aj said:
Im wondering how much daylight you have in Texas at this time of the year--were dark here by 5 oclock and not light till about 8.30 a.m.-what your temperature is at night? weather wise whats your biggest problem raiseing cattle?--were haveing a pretty mild winter in manitoba Can. and actually I think the cattle look better when its cold ,I know in cold weather scours when were calving is a lot less problems (actually not to many diseases can survive in our soil over our winters )

There are really SEVERAL different Texases! In East Texas you can carry a cow on every one to two acres; Central and South Texas you're looking at 10 to 20 acres per cow; while West Texas takes 100 to 200 acres to support a cow! Here in East Texas it currently gets dark about 6:00 pm and daylight around 7:00 am. Bear in mind that I am actually closer to Chicago than I am El Paso, Texas!! Our biggest problem this year is rain; the LACK THEREOF. We normally get around 46" of rain, this year its only been around 20" with only 6" of the wet stuff since March (and that INCLUDES 3" from the hurricane this summer).

not me, i've been bundled up in my coveralls ever since it got in the 60s. brr.

Thanks guys. Now I'm green with envy (first green since May) and want to come join you. But since their's no one to feed today I've got to go play in the mud.

Hope everybody has a safe and prosperous New Year.

Latest posts