Want To Lease Registered Yearling Heifer for FFA

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Hi Ya'll

My 12 year old son would like to enter a few shows with his FFA group, at this point in time he needs a registered yearling Heifer, halter broke would be a major plus but I know the chances of that is slim.

I was wondering if any of you guys would be willing to lease him a yearling heifer to enter the shows and you can have her back in March 2009... I would think this would be some what of an excellent marketing opportunity for someone who wanted to promote their breed, Cattle Business, Breed Association etc...

Just some of the shows he would be entering ...

State Fair of Dallas, TX
Forth Worth, TX
San Antonio, TX
Houston, TX
Denton, TX
Plus a few more ...

If this is something that would interest you.... would love to hear from you...

No offence intended, and good luck with your search, but in my experience with show cattle, --and it is extensive, it's a little premature to list a whole bunch of shows that you will attend and show in if you don't even yet know what animal you will be showing.

smallrancher":2duevwps said:
it's a little premature to list a whole bunch of shows that you will attend and show in if you don't even yet know what animal you will be showing.

No offence taken but I guess you didn't read my post correctly...

I stated that these are just some of the shows that my son would attend if he had or could find a yearling Heifer, I didn't say that he is going to show something that he doesn't presently have.... so I wouldn't say that is a little premature.

I would also have to include that you don't have to own cattle to attend a show.... as a parents of 4 wonderful children we attend as many shows and events as we possibly can... whether it's pigs, sheep, horses, goats or cattle we simply attend these shows because it's something we love doing as a family and healthy for our children and I personally attend as many cattle shows as I possibly can because I'm an enthusiast of cattle and being from another country feel very fortunate to see do many different breeds and very interesting to see how things are done in the USA.

I guess some would see it as craziness to travel hundreds or miles in support of the shows, we see it as benefiting our children and also we love ag (what more can I say )... :banana:

So as I say, No offence taken...sorry you didn't quite catch what I was trying to convey

Double check the rules for the shows that you want to attend. To show in the Junior shows, very often the animal has to belong to or registered in the youth's name or the name of an immediate family member.

Hi Chippie

That's right, I believe the wife was reading that out to me from the FFA meeting the other night...

I guess it's better to purchase a nice heifer I guess, but you are correct...I remember my wife reading those rules out to me.

Thank you!

WhirlingDRanch":1graq1uj said:
Hi Ya'll

My 12 year old son would like to enter a few shows with his FFA group, at this point in time he needs a registered yearling Heifer, halter broke would be a major plus but I know the chances of that is slim.

I was wondering if any of you guys would be willing to lease him a yearling heifer to enter the shows and you can have her back in March 2009... I would think this would be some what of an excellent marketing opportunity for someone who wanted to promote their breed, Cattle Business, Breed Association etc...

Just some of the shows he would be entering ...

State Fair of Dallas, TX
Forth Worth, TX
San Antonio, TX
Houston, TX
Denton, TX
Plus a few more ...

If this is something that would interest you.... would love to hear from you...

If you're in the Denton area, you might contact some of the members of the Red River Angus group. Or see if you can put an ad in their newsletter.

http://www.redriverangusassoc.com/

What breed do you want? If you are looking for a Santa Gertrudis, there is a breeder in your community - Suzanne Terry that has some good cattle. She grew up i9n the 4-H and FFA program there.

I have loaned 4 head so far to kid's for FFA. I sign the registration papers over to the kid, pay half the feed bill and get the animal back after it's show career is over. It works really well for us, because I really don't need the animal till it's ready to breed, and I wind up with a well conditioned, easy to work cow or bull. But I go through the Ag teachers. They always know of a kid who is good and reliable. The kids have done really well with our animals. Both bulls have gone on to be grand champion beefmaster 2005, 2007 at the Arkansas State Fair. One heifer did well at county, but was too old for state. One showed this weeked at 4States and did really well. She's very young, but the judges liked her. The boy showing her is a senior this year and is doing a great job.

Latest posts