Vicon disc mower???

Help Support CattleToday:

Make sure you have someone that can service it and get parts. I had a Vicon baler when it worked right it was a great baler. Having to send to Holland for parts and no one in the US that could diagnose a problem made me get rid of it.

the vicon balers used tobe real good.as we ran 1 for 10yrs.but i dont know about vicon cutters.if i was you idook at krone cutters.i know they are good cutters.now they are heavy son of a guns.i know ill buy another krone cutter.

bigbull338":1tz5zu56 said:
the vicon balers used tobe real good.as we ran 1 for 10yrs.but i dont know about vicon cutters.if i was you idook at krone cutters.i know they are good cutters.now they are heavy son of a guns.i know ill buy another krone cutter.

I have a Kuhn now but my next one will probably be a Krone. Kuhn's "pop off" hat design does not work all the time.

Cabo":wd0wqptn said:
bigbull338":wd0wqptn said:

I have a Kuhn now but my next one will probably be a Krone. Kuhn's "pop off" hat design does not work all the time.
I like the New Idea mowers. The drive shaft for the cutters are segmented to if someting breaks it only screws up one section intead of the whole thing. If I were to replace mine that would be ne of the features I would want for sure.

They are now owned by Kubota so parts and service should easier.

Sizmic

What the original post is about,Vicon. Sorry about the confusion.

Sizmic

So now we'll have to wait for parts from japan instead of Holland?

TANK30705":1dnb4ax2 said:
So Vicon is owned by Kubota?

Thought I read on AgTalk or somewhere that happened. But I know I read Kubota would start marketing Vicon.

fitz

I was told that kubota bought vicon when I asked about who was building the new Kubota hay equipment.

I'm like dun, I would never own a cutter that doesn't have segmented shafts. We both have the same model cutters and this past year I hit a chunk of wood in a field and rounded off 3 shafts, in less than 4 hours time we had it going again, with hand tools sitting in the field where it stopped at.

Thanks for the input so far.
Let me question yall about the Krone disc mowers? All I have heard about them is they are gear driven, no belts, anymore info?
Kuhn rules my area! So any info on other brands is greatly appreciated.

I had a neighbor that a mower with the gear drive, don;t recall the make. He hit something and starting shearing teeth off of the gears. Got real expensive having to replace a bunch of gears and took a long time for them to be delivered. He fixed it and sold it to buy a JD

The newer Kuhn and John Deere have a "Protectadrive system" designed to protect the rest of the drive gears from affected ones but a stick of wood ruined all the gears in my bar. About $4000.00.

Cabo":3pus4v1r said:
The newer Kuhn and John Deere have a "Protectadrive system" designed to protect the rest of the drive gears from affected ones but a stick of wood ruined all the gears in my bar. About $4000.00.
I've always thought I would like a Kuhn gear drive cutter, but I can replace every shaft in my new idea for a couple hundred dollars instead of a few thousand.

I have a Vicon disc mower. It's an older model (CM-240), I bought used. It needed some repairs. I got all the information on the cause of failure from Mike at Vicon warehouse in St. Charles, Mo. (800-237-0562).

I tried to get parts from Heritage Tractor who is the local JD dealer and Vicon Dealer. They had no parts at any of their stores and had to order them in, and I would have to pay freight. Mike told of their busiest dealer who is/was Mordt Tractor (636-263-8575) and Darrell Strielsler is parts mgr. All very good to deal with.

The problem with the mower was the owner had removed the flow restrictor fitting and the bar came down too fast. After hitting the ground too many time the metal failed. I ended up having a welding shop rebuild the broken metal and beef it up and then made my own restrictor at a $5 cost instead of $70!

I have run and liked the Vicon disc mowers I have owned. Still have an older Vicon MoCo. While I like the three blade cutter bar, I feel the frames are not as heavily built as the Kuhn/Deere or Krone.
Decided on a Krone 2 years ago and it is proving to be a very nice machine.

a krone is so heavy that ive seen them on a tractor being loaded on a trailer pick up the rear of a 1 ton an slam it on the ground.

I own a vicon 2400 and a claas disco 260 and the vicon is really great for hay cutting late in the season (dried bahia). The bar isn't as heavy as a kuhn or claas. Parts are getting to be a issure but a local dealer orders them for me. Just seems like the 3 bladed head cuts better???

Latest posts