Vet Tech Student - Help!

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.

theblueakita

Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone here could explain to me what "flushing" actually is. It would be greatly appreciated, I missed the day in class that we discussed this.

Thanks!

simply,
"flushing" refers to removing fertilized embryos from a donor cow to be placed in multiple recipient ("recip") cows. the reason it is called a flush is because a liquid is used to wash out the embryos.

it is a relatively simple procedure with a knowledgable vet.

recent discussions on this board about it: http://cattletoday.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15786

there are a lot more details than i have included, but this gives you a basic definition. I am sure others will be willing to go into much more detail if asked.

theblueakita":2vbbk65h said:
I was just wondering if anyone here could explain to me what "flushing" actually is. It would be greatly appreciated, I missed the day in class that we discussed this.

Thanks!
You are a vet student and don't know what a flush is????

"Vet Tech"...and "Vet" student are two completely different things. I think you misunderstood a bit. :D

No. I did not miss anything. My wife is a vet "tech".

Scotty

I have a friend who works as a vet tech. I don't expect her to know the different drug names, treatments, or help me solve my cow problems. Her job has to do with helping the vet - handing equipment and drugs to the vet as asked and needed. Sometimes I run across vet techs that know more, some that know less. One that can preg check nearly as good as the vet he helps, one that doesn't even know horses need to be wormed. To get the name "vet tech", at least in my area, doesn't involve anything special other than getting the job.

Alternately, my vet had a vet student staying at his clinic for a week recently. That guy... case in point: my vet asked him re my calf, "What bacteria would you suspect of invading the bones of cattle?" And the fellow promptly whipped out a lengthy name and response that I can't remember for the life of me. LOL.

That's what I'd expect from a vet student - but not my friend the vet tech.

Besides, with a user name like "theblueakita" - Akitas are DOGS. Perhaps this person works as a vet tech at a small animal clinic? Don't be too hard on him/her.

this doesn't have anything to do with the subject intended, but instead agreeing with milkmaid in the fact that some should not be so hard on others especially the newer ones. I thought that this was supposed to be an informative site, discussion board not a place to be slammed for your lack of knowledge in which you are trying to obtain. Sorry but some are just to critical of ones who really are seeking good advice.

Actually, for your information, this is my first semester and it is for my FIRST Animal Breeds & Husbandry class. Only the first of six semesters-- to be totally honest, I had mono and missed the first day of Bovine study when she listed the terms we should know; flushing was included in that list. I was able to figure out the rest of them, and had a general idea of what flushing was but I wanted a clearer definition from someone who I knew could give me one.

But let me thank you for your support, Scotty.

Seriously. Thanks to the rest of you for helping me out. :3

with all of these responses there could have been a lot more information conveyed to the eager student.

theblueakita":11lj586d said:
Actually, for your information, this is my first semester and it is for my FIRST Animal Breeds & Husbandry class. Only the first of six semesters-- to be totally honest, I had mono and missed the first day of Bovine study when she listed the terms we should know; flushing was included in that list. I was able to figure out the rest of them, and had a general idea of what flushing was but I wanted a clearer definition from someone who I knew could give me one.

But let me thank you for your support, Scotty.

Seriously. Thanks to the rest of you for helping me out. :3
Flushing is the process by which you harvest a fertilized egg (embryo) from a cow. Usually in the aspect of most flushes , you are harvesting several embryo at once. This is acomplished by stimulating a super ovulation with the assistance of FSH (folicle stimulating hormone) . With the fsh the donor cow (the one you are flushing) produces more eggs this cycle than normal . Usually around 8 or 10. These are fertilized either by natural service if you own the bull or by artificial insemination. The cow once brought into super ovulation is bred during standing heat. The donor cow then incubates the fertilized eggs till day 7. At this time the embryo are still preblastocytes but are mature zygotes (I think). The method for harvesting is as follows. You insert a cathater into the front of the cervix. The cather is extended to block off the anterior mouth of the cervix. Flushing medium is then released into the uterus and both horns of the uterus is manipulated to express the medium back toward the cathater. The catheter (I can't spell , surely one way is right) leads back through the cows vagina and posterior to the vagina (outside the cow) there is a valve. The tech opens a squeeze clamp on the catheter tube releasing the medium into a container with a screen smaller than the embryo but that lets the fluid drain through. This process is repeated until the uterus is throughly washed. Once the embryo are in the screen/strainer the tech takes the container with the screen and rinses the contents into a petree dish. The dish is placed under a wide angle low power microscope and the embryo are sorted from the medium , graded for maturity and viability , and washed with a calf serum. The embryo are then gathered into a freezing medium (ethelene glycol normally now days) and frozen or they are inserted directly into a waiting recipient cow which has been brought into estrus to syncronize with the donor cow (day 7). Under optimal circumstances somewhere around 50% pregnancy rate can be expected. Hope this helps. If I missed something or got something incorrect maybe someone will help us out. Good luck.

Here is a link about the whole embryo transfer process. I can't vouch for the accuracy of the source but skimming through it quickly I didn't detect any inaccuracies....
http://www.cruachan.com.au/embryo_transfer.htm

Here is another link from a University source though more poorly written than the article by the Highland breeder's kid..
http://ars.sdstate.edu/BeefExt/ExEx/ex2001.htm

You can probably find some more articles using your own internet searches.

milkmaid":t2g1f8w9 said:
To get the name "vet tech", at least in my area, doesn't involve anything special other than getting the job.

In Wyoming and quite a few other states as well, a true vet tech requires a 2 year degree from an accredited college. They are required to know parasitology, pharmacology, anatomy and physiology, restraint techniques, and a lot of other things that I have since forgotten. It's not quite as simple as just getting the job and the biggest majority of them are very knowledgable and quite competent.

That is the program that I am in, in NC. It is not required here in order to get a job as a Vet Tech, but I'd prefer to know what I'm doing before I jump into it all.

I wish you the best of luck! I've been through it (although it was about a hundred years ago) and it wasn't a picnic by any means!

theblueakita":14eljtmv said:
That is the program that I am in, in NC. It is not required here in order to get a job as a Vet Tech, but I'd prefer to know what I'm doing before I jump into it all.

Maybe I can redeem myself one of these days. I would say if you are serious about going into that line of work it is better to have all the certifications and such. More pay and will help open yourself into a bigger job market.

Scotty

Scotty":1hozlfnr said:
theblueakita":1hozlfnr said:

Maybe I can redeem myself one of these days. I would say if you are serious about going into that line of work it is better to have all the certifications and such. More pay and will help open yourself into a bigger job market.

Scotty

Scotty, does Texas require more than a degree? I don't know how much the field requirements have changed beyone requiring a degree in the last 25 years, I didn't keep up with it.

Hang in there most of us are just old and grouchy. :lol: :lol: :lol: (sometimes) But seriously ask all you want because most of the time you get good answers.

No a degree not required. My wife did one of those mail order things right after high school. I guesse it is better than nothing. Now she looking into a degree program from some school in Fla. and a nearby Jr. college.

Scotty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts