beginner- vet questions and tips

Help Support CattleToday:

pdubdo

Reaction score
Got a cow that is well appearing/active/feeds great but has had mild diarrhea for maybe a month now. Other cows are fine, but had one last year with the similar symptoms that didn't breed--ended up culling her after trying some diet/mineral changes. Not sure what the issue is but time to diagnose something and get expert help. I've got 6 pretty gentle cows, a head gate, a bunch of portable panels made into a pen, and a "chute" that's basically portable panels reinforced with 6 x 6 posts. Never interacted with a vet before...Do I bring my animal to them or they come out? Any tips for not looking stupid or annoying them? I assume they may do some blood work--what's a ballpark vet bill run for a single cow exam plus some bloodwork and maybe stool testing? Any advice or suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

How long have you had the cows, and did they come from a farm or the sale barn? Have you vaccinated and wormed them? Did the one you culled last year lose condition with her scours? It could be a number of things like internal parasites, hardware, Or worst case Johnes disease if they are scouring and losing condition. It sounds like you have a good setup to work them. It would depend on your vet if they would make a farm call, or if you would have to bring her in. Most vets that do farm calls would be happy to come to a farm with proper facilities like it sounds you have, so they don't have to have a rodeo just to examine them. Our vet charges around $60 or so for a farm call, plus the exam and any procedures and testing they would do. Not sure what kind of rates yours might charge for farm call if they do them or their procedures. It can vary greatly from different areas and vet practices. If you call their office ahead of time, they might be able to give you a ballpark estimate on some of the charges. If they do a farm call, I would make sure and have her up before they get there and ready to be caught quickly for them to take a look at her. That saves both of you time and money by doing that ahead of time. It's never fun when the vet gets there and you have to scramble to get them caught, but sometimes that can't be avoided. I always figure the vet has a long day, and if I can help save some of their time and aggravation, it's a good thing for us as well as the next client they need to go help after me. Don't be afraid to ask them questions, Take notes, and be willing to give them a hand if needed. Building a good relationship with your vet is very important, because they are a key part to the success of your operation, and you never know when you will need their help. I always try to make sure and tell ours how much we appreciate them. I'm sure it can be an exhausting, thankless job at times. Many folks will forget the 99 the vet managed to save for them, but will always remember the 1 they weren't able to save, even if it was no fault of their own. Sorry for the long post. I hope things go well, and they are able to find out some answers for you to what is going on with her.

How long have you had the cows, and did they come from a farm or the sale barn? Have you vaccinated and wormed them? Did the one you culled last year lose condition with her scours? It could be a number of things like internal parasites, hardware, Or worst case Johnes disease if they are scouring and losing condition. It sounds like you have a good setup to work them. It would depend on your vet if they would make a farm call, or if you would have to bring her in. Most vets that do farm calls would be happy to come to a farm with proper facilities like it sounds you have, so they don't have to have a rodeo just to examine them. Our vet charges around $60 or so for a farm call, plus the exam and any procedures and testing they would do. Not sure what kind of rates yours might charge for farm call if they do them or their procedures. It can vary greatly from different areas and vet practices. If you call their office ahead of time, they might be able to give you a ballpark estimate on some of the charges. If they do a farm call, I would make sure and have her up before they get there and ready to be caught quickly for them to take a look at her. That saves both of you time and money by doing that ahead of time. It's never fun when the vet gets there and you have to scramble to get them caught, but sometimes that can't be avoided. I always figure the vet has a long day, and if I can help save some of their time and aggravation, it's a good thing for us as well as the next client they need to go help after me. Don't be afraid to ask them questions, Take notes, and be willing to give them a hand if needed. Building a good relationship with your vet is very important, because they are a key part to the success of your operation, and you never know when you will need their help. I always try to make sure and tell ours how much we appreciate them. I'm sure it can be an exhausting, thankless job at times. Many folks will forget the 99 the vet managed to save for them, but will always remember the 1 they weren't able to save, even if it was no fault of their own. Sorry for the long post. I hope things go well, and they are able to find out some answers for you to what is going on with her.
super helpful. Thanks for the reply. Had this cow 3 years. Bought as a heifer calf private treaty and vaccinated but not wormed in a year or so. She had her first calf just fine. Hasn't really lost condition and looks well. I would notice the diarrhea in the pasture but not sure which cow it was. Finally caught her in the act. It's small amounts and not very frequent. First cow didn't lose condition either. Ended up processing her. We'll see what happens and I'll get a vet out :)

Latest posts