Very Sick Calf - and I'm a newbie!

Help Support CattleToday:

alecha100

Reaction score
Good Morning! I have a very sick 1 month old calf. Her mother stopped producing enough milk so she ended up with me and I'm currently bottle feeding her. When she arrived I gave her a shot of Baytril because she had a little runny nose and overall wasn't feeling too well (however, i noticed later it was expired). Then she starting getting worse. Now there is lots of snot coming out of her nose, lays around a lot, and you can hear the mucous in her chest when she breathes. She still eats, but you can tell she doesn't feel well at all. She's about 50 pounds: I gave her 2 cc of LA 200 SQ on Thursday pm along with 1cc SQ of Banamine. I have given her a few eggs with her milk to help keep her strength up. I'm thinking about a bigger dose of LA 200 IM because I hear it works faster.

Just not sure what to do at this point. I lost a calf with the exact same stuff two weeks ago and I don't want to lose this one. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,Alecha

Go back to the baytril even though it is expired. Follow thru on the meds until she is up and breathing better, use banamin IM instead of SQ .7

If you can get your hands on Nuflor that is the best to use, and a loading does of Dexamethazone. Get her exact weight so you know proper dosage and how hard you can hit her off label.

I've had great success with Nuflor/Baytril combo. full dose of NuFlor, with a 1/2 dose of Baytril, in combo with regular Banamane injections.
Could be wrong, but I heard Dex is very hard on calves?
Good luck.

ozarkbulls":3q1rxw4e said:
I've had great success with Nuflor/Baytril combo. full dose of NuFlor, with a 1/2 dose of Baytril, in combo with regular Banamane injections.
Could be wrong, but I heard Dex is very hard on calves?
Good luck.

Dex seems to work well in these cases, you have to way the odds. Dead calf, or a one time usage of Dex to bring the fever down and make breathing easier .

2 good posts hillsdown, that would be my advice as well. When I need immediate relief from symptoms I go for the dex. I can't think of a calf that died that I thought was harmed by dex, but I can think of many that was saved by it.

Larry

Thanks for the help! I gave NeFlor and Banamine and she's up and running again. I appreciate it!

Latest posts