Very grateful for this calf!

Help Support CattleToday:

branguscowgirl

Reaction score
I am very grateful to see this little guy for several different reasons.

First, this was the cow that had the paralysis, tremors and uncoordinated movements for a year. (Some of you probably remember the long ordeal that I had posted about.) Once her Selenium deficiency was discovered and corrected, she recovered. I won't go into that story again. But I had bred her during that time thinking that she would either make it, or not. I didn't really know if she could tolerate a pregnancy and deliver a calf. But she is a pretty special cow to me, so I gave her a chance. (I have posted her show pictures in the past.)
I also didn't know how her deficiencies may have affected the calfs development.

Second reason, a very special CT member had shipped me some great Brangus semen as a gift! It was at a time when I needed it the most. I had huge vet bills for this cow and for other animals on the farm at the time, and was so grateful for his generosity!!! I am continuing to use the semen he gave me on cows this year. Most of you will be able to guess who this person is, just by his occupation. ;-) But I didn't want to embarrass him too much! Bottom line is, it was a wonderful gift and I am VERY grateful for what he did!! :D What a wonderful man! Thank you.

I think this calf is a dandy! (And Ruby had no problems having him.)
I wish the pics were better, but mama doesn't like me near him.

IMG_20150701_195435_zpsa3e6e838.jpg
[/URL]
IMG_20150701_191153_zps0e14e3d1.jpg
[/URL]

Happy for you that she got straightened out, carried and delivered a nice healthy calf! I love those ears! They look like calf satellite dishes.

Sounds like that gift is turning out to be a really nice gift!

Very nice calf, He is a nice feller but Ive asked him to donate to my semen tank and he told me to pound sand !!!! whats up with that ? and knowing his sense of humor all my calves would be Holstein.

M-5":1aqp0tyt said:
Very nice calf, He is a nice feller but Ive asked him to donate to my semen tank and he told me to pound sand !!!! whats up with that ? and knowing his sense of humor all my calves would be Holstein.
That's what I was thinking also! I had to think back if I had pissed him off at any time, if I would have a black and white calf or not. :lol: But you don't need a DNA test when you have those ears!!

Thanks for the kind words everyone. Even if he was junk I would be happy to have him here alive and healthy!

M-5":2d3euqde said:
Naw, holsteins grow pretty good, I'd send YOU jersey semen... now THAT would be funny. :nod:

Thanks you guys!
Yep, I will keep you updated on how he grows!
You were right CP about disposition on "Distinction" calves. He seems pretty easy going as far as I can tell right now. I will know more at halter breaking time. The "Blackhawk" heifer is a fireball compared to this guy.
I bred a few others to him also, but with the Selenium problem they didn't settle. It's funny how Ruby was affected the worst, but she settled on a second calf. You just never know how they are going to respond with mineral deficiencies. I am still scratching my head over how she had got so bad in the first place.

Latest posts