VERMONT BULL to Critique

Help Support CattleToday:

CowCop

Reaction score
~

Hi All,

I took these photos just a few hours ago while checking the herd in one of the more hilly fields.

This Reg Hereford Bull was born 3/19/05

He arrived at the farm 6/15/06

He insisted on "meeting " the yearlings on 6/25/06

We put him in with our mixed herd on 6/30/06

He was able to deal with the constant torents of rain/mud & flooding and seems like a decent swimmer.

The last Howard Johnsons restaurant was torn down in town the day he arrived, so we named him the HoJo bull.

Please tell me how you rate him.

We have used Reg Angus bulls for the last 12 years.

Thank You

~

FRONT ( Keep in mind we are both standing on a hillside )

10_3_06_098.jpg

~~

Here is a photo of the day he arrived.

He seemed to have a better butt then.

6_15_06_009_HOWARD_JOHNSON.jpg

~

SIDE 8/23/06

8_23_06_007_HOJO.jpg

Hope this is enough photos to have an good assessment of him.

Go to it~!!

Not sure how big of a pasture he's in, or how many you expect him to cover, but that young boy's going to work himself into a grave if you don't get him away from the cows and put some feed into him. JMO. He didn't have a better butt before, just more condition.

I usually shy away from being critical of other peoples livestock and operations, but you asked for opinions. SO, the bull didn't look too bad when you got him, but he looks pretty rough now. How many cows has he been with? Either you are asking too much of him or he needs some nutrients. It is just as important for the bull not to be overworked as the cows. Afterall, you wouldn't put 4 or 5 calves on a cow and expect her to perfom well. He is still pretty young, so maybe he needs a break. I am not trying to offend.

Ron

My thoughts are the same as the rest.... he needs some pounds on him to get a good honest opinion going. I like him better when he got to the place then now.

JMO,
Alan

No offense but,....in all honesty....I would make sure the cows are bred then sell the bull. He lacks muscle, rib, top, and frame, plus he appears to "toe out" in the front. I wouldn't waste feeding him all winter if he has things bred. I think you could do much better for a reasonable price come next breeding season.

*Cowgirl*":33wwrfvg said:
Looks alright. and some bigger nuts.

I agree with you Cowgirl! What is with the bulls we are seeing as of late it seems the lack of scrotal size has become some what of an issue.

It looks like you have plenty of pasture, but in your last picture, that ol' gal in front of him looks like she needs more grub too. An it's almost the first of Sept. an he has'nt slicked off yet, so do you think they need worming?

Latest posts