Vegetable oil for remedy

Help Support CattleToday:

BK9954

Reaction score
Had 2 $60 pump sprayers go out that were rated for use diesel fuel. I went to using vegetable oil with remedy since diesel is corrosive and I assume that was the problem. New O ring sets for the sprayers are running $20 each. Anyone used this method. Also just rained 4 days after spraying. Washed my money away or do you think the remedy took?

This was applied on large cut stumps and young new growth uncut mesquites less then 2 feet tall, forgot to mention.

Buy pumps with viton seals and o-rings and flush good after use
I'd bet the kill rate is reduced with veg oil whether it rained or not but really never tried it

Idk about the vegetable oil, but I bet you get a kill with four days. I spot sprayed honey locust last week and left some markers for when I came back about four days later, iirc. Markers were unnecessary. 4:1

Remedy is rain fast in a matter of hours so 4 days you'll be safe. I always rinse out the sprayers after using diesel and in 15 years haven;t had a problem with the seals going to crap. I run water with some dish soap through them and that has always taken care of it. Veggie oil is too expensive for my taste, I stick with diesel and a thorough cleaning afterwards
I also wonder if veggie oil would allow the remedy to be absorbed as well as diesel does

I read it on a publication put out by Texas A&M on mesquite control as an option for mixing instead of diesel. Was pretty darn pricey, even with wally world brand oil.

I put a good hard days work in on some basal treatments a couple years ago. I had terrible results. I mixed it half and half. I did some about 6 weeks ago, with 1/3 2-3. Killed really good this time. Makes me think the diesel is pretty important. I know you can oil instead of diesel, but remedy is so expensive, I'd rather not take a chance.

Bigfoot":1j6t83x1 said:
I put a good hard days work in on some basal treatments a couple years ago. I had terrible results. I mixed it half and half. I did some about 6 weeks ago, with 1/3 2-3. Killed really good this time. Makes me think the diesel is pretty important. I know you can oil instead of diesel, but remedy is so expensive, I'd rather not take a chance.
On the research I was reading it was saying that more is not better when it comes to remedy in all cases. It is supposed to be diluted to a certain ratio in order to absorb. 1 quart to a gallon of oil or diesel was full strength on bark spraying. Too strong and it wouldnt absorb as well.

BK9954":2xdfk930 said:
Bigfoot":2xdfk930 said:
On the research I was reading it was saying that more is not better when it comes to remedy in all cases. It is supposed to be diluted to a certain ratio in order to absorb. 1 quart to a gallon of oil or diesel was full strength on bark spraying. Too strong and it wouldnt absorb as well.
It's not just remedy. Most herbicides if applied to heavily aren;t very effective. They will burn the plant but not get absorbed enough to kill it.

Latest posts