Vaginal Prolapse

Help Support CattleToday:

cfpinz

Reaction score
What's the biggest vaginal prolapse you've seen go back in on its own? Found a 4yo hereford cow this evening after dark with one about the size of two grapefruits hanging out, not due for another month. Got done feeding, grabbed makeshift vet (wife) and went back with the truck after finishing feeding (about an hour). She was a good ways from the lots and she's gentle, was going to rope her and tie her to a tree and throw a stitch in her but when we got there it was down to the size of a kiwi and was attempting to go back in. Instead of getting her riled up roping/stitching her, I just covered it up with sugar and let her be.

What would you have done? Thoughts and experiences would be appreciated.

cfpinz

The biggest I've seen was about thr size of a volleyball. My biggest concern with a vaginal prolapse is that it can prevent them from urinating. If that's the case you have to help them. Stand to the side or do it barefoot.

dun

Seen her urinate while we were watching her last night. Left before daylight this morning, haven't seen her today.

The volleyball size one, did you pack it or did it go in on its own?

cfpinz

dun said:
The biggest I've seen was about thr size of a volleyball. My biggest concern with a vaginal prolapse is that it can prevent them from urinating. If that's the case you have to help them. Stand to the side or do it barefoot.

dun[/quote

Yes I've seen it about the size of a volleyball. Its a good idea to put her on the list for culling. Couse next year it will get bigger.
Do you think it causes a big problem with her calving.

mnmtranching":3tj28d67 said:
dun":3tj28d67 said:

dun[/quote

Yes I've seen it about the size of a volleyball. Its a good idea to put her on the list for culling. Couse next year it will get bigger.
Do you think it causes a big problem with her calving.

It went down some after we poked it back in and stiched her up.
Yes, it did cause problems with calving because too much of the birth canal was full(swollen) and the calf didn;t fit without pulling.
Part of the reason I'm leery of "conventional wisdom". Conventional wisdom is that if they prolapse after calving they won't prolaps again. She prolapsed after calving the year before then prolapsed before calving the second year. She made great burger

dun

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to move her up the the heifer lot next to the house where I can watch her and she'll be next to the barn/chute. Hate to see her go, she's just about to turn 4 and starting to fill out, and depending on calving dates, may be the first to calve out of the red gelpvieh bull. She's also one of the few registered hrfs here, just goes to prove my opinioin that crossbred mutts make the best cows.

cfpinz

cfpinz":1uwge89t said:
Thanks for the replies. I'm going to move her up the the heifer lot next to the house where I can watch her and she'll be next to the barn/chute. Hate to see her go, she's just about to turn 4 and starting to fill out, and depending on calving dates, may be the first to calve out of the red gelpvieh bull. She's also one of the few registered hrfs here, just goes to prove my opinioin that crossbred mutts make the best cows.

cfpinz

If she has a heifer I wouldn;t hesitate to keep the calf as a replacement. We kept the 2 heifers that outr prolapse queen had the years she prolapsed, and they never prolapsed and raised some dandy calves. One of the old girls grandaughters maybe great grandaughter is still here.

dun":1t636um2 said:
cfpinz":1t636um2 said:

cfpinz

If she has a heifer I wouldn;t hesitate to keep the calf as a replacement. We kept the 2 heifers that outr prolapse queen had the years she prolapsed, and they never prolapsed and raised some dandy calves. One of the old girls grandaughters maybe great grandaughter is still here.

It's encouraging to hear you say that, I held over her bwf hfr from last year and have been second-guessing myself since last night.

cfpinz

I had one with it out about the size of a grapefruit one evening. Checked her the next day and it had gone back in. I thought that's good news. Then about 4 days later I saw her and it was out, about the size of a football. Had to push it in and sew her up. Cut the strings after 2 weeks and she calved ok about 2 months later.

She was perfectly normal this evening, time will tell.

Assuming she has no more trouble before or after calving, what would you folks do with her (4yo registered otherwise nice cow)? If it were an old cow or one I didn't care for there would be no question, but I'm sitting the fence on this one.

cfpinz

last month one of my cows had a uterine prolapse. It looked like you had taken the guts out of two deer and thrown them on the ground behind her. Lost the cow but was able to save the calf.

cfpinz":39t2g4kd said:
What's the biggest vaginal prolapse you've seen go back in on its own? Found a 4yo hereford cow this evening after dark with one about the size of two grapefruits hanging out, not due for another month. Got done feeding, grabbed makeshift vet (wife) and went back with the truck after finishing feeding (about an hour). She was a good ways from the lots and she's gentle, was going to rope her and tie her to a tree and throw a stitch in her but when we got there it was down to the size of a kiwi and was attempting to go back in. Instead of getting her riled up roping/stitching her, I just covered it up with sugar and let her be.

What would you have done? Thoughts and experiences would be appreciated.

cfpinz

See how she does after calveing. Then deside.

What's the sugar thing about?

We had this happen with some Charolais cows some years ago. They were all somewhat related, went back to some Highrise relation. We ended up getting rid of them all. The bad thing about it was they were some of the nicer animals we had at the time, just to much trouble.

The sugar is used for shrinking the prolapse.

Pinz, what's her BCS? Is she a little to heavy? I would'nt be in a big hurry on getting rid of her if she's a good cow. I've had a couple prolapse and have kept daughters from them and never had another problem from them or their offspring.

Roadapple":3m7eri4a said:
Pinz, what's her BCS? Is she a little to heavy? I would'nt be in a big hurry on getting rid of her if she's a good cow. I've had a couple prolapse and have kept daughters from them and never had another problem from them or their offspring.

She's about 5-5.5. Her first couple years here she stayed a might haggard, she's just starting to flesh out. That little voice in the back of my head keeps saying she'll be burger, but I'll wait and see.

cfpinz

cfpinz":3lshxxtn said:
She was perfectly normal this evening, time will tell.

Assuming she has no more trouble before or after calving, what would you folks do with her (4yo registered otherwise nice cow)? If it were an old cow or one I didn't care for there would be no question, but I'm sitting the fence on this one.

cfpinz

From our experience with vaginal prolapse, they usually get worse as they get older. We cull them, especially if they are doing it over a month ahead of calving, and if it doesn't go back in on its own. The only time we might reconsider is if they have an unusually (for them) big calf.

Cull the cow just as soon as you wean the calf. This is just the start of future problems. Definately do not keep ANY progeny for replacements as vaginal prolapse is highly heritable! That's the only reason prolapse is still around as people are too hesitant to cull a "good cow". The alternative to culling is to use a rifle........either way you can eliminate the problem!

Latest posts