viginal prolapse

Help Support CattleToday:

gbfarm

Reaction score
I'm looking for advice as to what I need to do.
This is the first time I've had a cow with a prolapsed vigina.
She is a 6 year old cow with a 3 month old calf.
I found her this morning and she also has a prolapsed rectum.
She continues to strain. What can I do to help her?

Being that it is your first time dealing with it, best to call the vet and let them show you how to fix it. Don't worry about cost as this cow will recoup that value when you ship her this fall. But if they aren't dealt with promptly, you will have a dead cow.

Unless you have done it several times before leave it up to the vet. He has a shot that will make her stop straining as he puts it back and stitches it up.

gbfarm said:
I'm looking for advice as to what I need to do.
This is the first time I've had a cow with a prolapsed vigina.
She is a 6 year old cow with a 3 month old calf.
I found her this morning and she also has a prolapsed rectum.
She continues to strain. What can I do to help her?

Both are fixable if you have the facilities. First question what does the cows shyt look like? The vaginal prolapse may a result of herd management as the problem especially with anal prolapse (Hemorrhoids).
The vet is the best recourse with your experience level indicated in the post.
http://www.thebullvine.com/management/manure-evaluation-key-nutrition-herd-health/

Thanks. The shot to stop the straining was my question.
I have watched the vet with rectum and uterus repair.
One other question. Will this type prolapse be likely to reoccur?
Wish me luck on getting a vet on Easter Sunday

gbfarm said:
Thanks. The shot to stop the straining was my question.
I have watched the vet with rectum and uterus repair.
One other question. Will this type prolapse be likely to reoccur?
Wish me luck on getting a vet on Easter Sunday

It can be especially with the recital issues , not being a smart Alec you need to know your shyt. There is tons of data in diagnosing herd health and feed through fecal observation.

Is the cow a Hereford by chance? There's a lot of genetics to the vaginal prolapse and it is likely to recur.

You got a squeeze or good containment? If the cow is up, get her in there, rinse everything off nicely, Hope you have some lubricant of some kind, PATIENCE, perhaps an extra set of hands if available, you can work it back in.. If she lays down, there's a good chance it'll keep coming back out unless it's sewed up, but it'll at least buy you some time

I'd only seen a uterine prolapse put back in once, and I was 14.. that was 26 years ago.. Just like your problem, 2 am on a sunday night, and i'm about 2-3 hours away from a vet.. sometimes you just gotta roll up your sleeves and git'r done...

If you can't stitch it, MAYBE you could get something to work temporarily with crazy glue?.. piece of burlap sack crazy glued to the lady bits might hold well enough for things to settle down?

Nesikep said:
If you can't stitch it, MAYBE you could get something to work temporarily with crazy glue?.. piece of burlap sack crazy glued to the lady bits might hold well enough for things to settle down?

Christ, don't suggest such crap Nesi. Either he does it right and stitches it or just put a bullet in her.

Also, next time on your stitch job, go deeper with your stitches (to the hair line) so you have some degree of meat to hold them in. If that cow had decided to keep pushing, she would have blown those stitches clear out.

Aaron said:
Nesikep said:

Christ, don't suggest such crap Nesi. Either he does it right and stitches it or just put a bullet in her.

Also, next time on your stitch job, go deeper with your stitches (to the hair line) so you have some degree of meat to hold them in. If that cow had decided to keep pushing, she would have blown those stitches clear out.
I could have used a real needle, real lace, and an extra pair of hands on that job.. I know it wasn't ideal but I'll keep it in mind for next time.. thankfully it held.

There has never been any sign of hemorrhoids in the herd. I was able to check her close when I put her up and found none. The manure isn't hard or runny like when on fresh grass. It appears soft and makes a good pie for lack of a better word.

The cow is 3/4 angus 1/4 gelbvieh.
I brought her to the barn, and during the process she quit straining. I left her inside, came to the house to try and locate a vet. When I went back about an hour later the vagina had went back inside as well as most of the rectum. I left her alone and checked on some fence a couple hours and when I returned she looked totally normal.
I'm keeping her up a few days to be sure it doesn't pop back out.
Very lucky so far but concerned as to why she was straining so hard
Thanks for all replies and responses

It doesn't sound like a typical vaginal prolapse to me. They will usually occur in the last third of pregnancy. May be more like a vaginal cyst that had popped out and she then started straining on it hence the rectum protruded a bit. These will usually pop back in when they get up and move.

Ken

Aaron said:
Nesikep said:

Yep, right to the hairline with 3 or 4 loops each side and then laced up like a shoe.

wbvs58 said:
It doesn't sound like a typical vaginal prolapse to me. They will usually occur in the last third of pregnancy. May be more like a vaginal cyst that had popped out and she then started straining on it hence the rectum protruded a bit. These will usually pop back in when they get up and move.

Ken

I had one cow that was prone to it, had a bad vaginal prolapse after the bull bred her... she went on a truck that fall.

Any cow that needs something extra needs to find a ride to town. I'm more convinced than ever that culling does wonders for your management style.

True Grit Farms said:
Any cow that needs something extra needs to find a ride to town. I'm more convinced than ever that culling does wonders for your management style.

We've never culled a cow for a uterine prolapse unless she was open in the fall.

Vaginal prolapses are hereditary and a completely different story. Cull them all!