Vaginal prolapse problems

Help Support CattleToday:

20156point7

Reaction score
Had a real nice simmental 7 year old decide to prolapse last Sunday. We think it happened the day before. The vet came and put it back in and it took a couple hours because the prolapse was very swollen and was really hard to get back in. After getting it in she sowed it up to keep it in. She also sowed the rectum up too because both we're prolapsed. Ever since Sunday she hasn't really gotten any better at all. I know it's going to take some time for them to get over that but she won't eat hay and she won't stay with the herd. I had to get her up on Wednesday to cut the stitch on her rectum and snapped this picture. It seems like it has gotten worse since the vet put it back in and has gotten progressively more swollen. Is there anything else that can be done?

The picture didn't show up and would help. I don't know what else can be done. I would think that a 7 y.o. cow with this many problems needs to be shipped to the packers.

When is the calf due?
I have used the Jorvet prolapse kit on a couple of occaisions and found them very good. Two can be used one either side on bad ones. From memory they are inserted intravaginally and consist of two big buttons and a plastic tube connecting them. A stainless pin is used in the tube for insertion and goes through the vaginal wall dorsally and then up through the muscle inside the pelvis and out through the skin where the stylet is removed and outside button slipped over and a clip inserted. Nothing needs to be sown up and they can calve with the pin still in place. They may decrease the salvage value of the carcase I guess.

https://www.jorvet.com/product/jorvet-prolapse-kit/

Ken

She is due in February. It's been almost a week and she still hasn't gotten any better. She occasionally strains and it seems like she may be having trouble peeing. She is still really swollen. I would love to be able to get a picture loaded on here but I can't get it to work

Ask your vet about an anti-inflammatory to take the swelling out and make her more comfortable.

Buck Randall said:
Ask your vet about an anti-inflammatory to take the swelling out and make her more comfortable.

Buck, is Metacam/Meloxicam available to US producers? That along with penicillin would be my recommendation.

And this cow automatically becomes a cull after she calves. Calve out, clean and sew her up for the remainder of her life with no exposure to a bull.

When they start this prolapse business this early, they are just a huge pain in the ass to keep tabs on. I would be thinking shipping her direct to slaughter right now, but Point7 is probably too attached to her.

Aaron said:
Buck Randall said:

Buck, is Metacam/Meloxicam available to US producers? That along with penicillin would be my recommendation.

And this cow automatically becomes a cull after she calves. Calve out, clean and sew her up for the remainder of her life with no exposure to a bull.

When they start this prolapse business this early, they are just a huge pain in the be nice to keep tabs on. I would be thinking shipping her direct to slaughter right now, but Point7 is probably too attached to her.
The injectable metacam isn't available in the states. Small animal meloxicam tablets can be given to cattle (extralabel use directed by a vet), but they're a pain to administer and have long withhold times.

We do have transdermal banamine. It's not the cheapest way to treat cattle, but it is very convenient and works well.

Latest posts