Vaccination question?

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
We have been vaccinating our herd with Virashield 6 VL5, with went to the vet's office today and got some more. It is Virashield 6 VL5 + Somnus. They have not had the somnus vaccine before so I assume they would have to be boostered to get the somnus protection.

What would you do, booster them or not worry about the somnus part of it. Thought about calling the vet tomorrow to see what he says, she did not ask about it.

i am in the same boat.. i have been giving just the vira sheild, but added the somnus this year. i was told to booster it. i was using vs5 + vl5, but now vs6 + vl5 + somnus.

check on it, but i think all you have to booster it with is the vs 6 + somnus.

good luck

jt

I e-mailed Novartis and they told me I should booster. My vet said I would not need to on the cows but would on the calves.

All the reading I have done, says the following:

Vaccinate with VS 6 + VL5 prebreeding
VAccinate at branding/turnout with Vira Shield 6

We dont vaccinate the calves in the spring, we wait until pre-weaning with VS 6 + VL5 plus a booster in 2 to 3 weeks(weaning).

I am in the confused boat myself. We haven't vaccinated our cows prebreeding for quite a while, but use the VS 6 + VL5 in the fall when we work cows.

We haven't had any known problems by not vaccinating prebreeding, but am thinking of doing it next year.