vaccination program

Help Support CattleToday:

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2agdgmny said:
All areas require different vaccines, but, most everyone recommends - IBR PI3 BVD & BRSV. Killed vaccines are getting slammed on latest research. Can't tell you a site to go to, but I have read & printed in my newsletter, several univ research studies stating that killed vaccines only protect for several months IF you give the proper booster shot.
The same reports are saying that there's a chance that the MLV are protecting for life - but are still recommending vaccinating once a year.
OK, I've been using the Pfizer program since before it was legally approved on label.
You vaccinate your cows AFTER calving & about 2-3 weeks prior to breeding (yes they are nursing a calf) with BoviShield Gold (I use the 4-vib-L5). Once a cow has received the BS MLV, it is safe to vaccinate her and her calf at ANY STAGE OF PREGNANCY or nursing.
It is recommended to vaccinate your weaned heifers with BS4L5, than a booster shot for the ?(BRSV or BVD?)? After that, they are safe to be vaccinated yearly at any stage.
Since we show, we expose our farm to various diseases, so we use the best preventative program offered. It is MUCH cheaper & less stressful (on us) than treating sick cattle.
We vaccinate & deworm cows 2 weeks prior to breeding & in the fall they get Lepto & dewormed again.
Calves are vaccinated with BS4L5 during the summer (along with several other vaccinations) & dewormed with a booster for all vaccines 4 weeks later PRIOR to weaning. We deworm calves again late fall.
Hope this helps.

If you vac. with the vib-L5 in the spring why do you repeat the Lepto in the fall?

Lepto vaccines used to be thought to last 12 months, now they know it only lasts 4-6 months. Our area recommends at least 2 shots year. Some areas give it 3 X year depending on the deer pressure.

docgraybull":vak01st0 said:
Blackleg, lepto, and deworm twice per year. You want to get more obsessive/compulsive about it, then that's your prerogative. Other specific (regional/endemic) vaccinations per your vet's (and your good sense) recommendations. But, and it is a proverbial big but, you should never lose a cow due to Blackleg, lose a calf/fetus due to lepto, or have a cow waste away due to worms/parasites.

Yep, I agree. Twice per year, as Jean recommended, ought to cover it. Most of the vaccines that you find will be combinations, so along with the necessary vaccines, you can also easily vaccinate for IBR, PI3, BVD, etc......

I'm not clear as to what Jeane meant by "all areas require vaccines", but I'm sure she will elaborate.

I'm not clear as to what Jeane meant by "all areas require vaccines", but I'm sure she will elaborate.

No No - I meant they NEED different vaccines. Like we don't have Blackleg out here. Some diseases are more previlent in different areas. That's why I always say to check with your local vet or extension office. Also some farms are more exposed to more diseases because of management practices. Like us, we get more exposure because of hauling our cattle to shows than bring them home. Some farms purchase cattle on a routine basis from the sale barns. Actually, a herd that has more exposure is less likely to have a severe outbreak than a "closed" unvaccinated herd that never gets exposure to outside sources.

jt":2zx4jvk8 said:
i have been using vira shield 5+vl5 or something like that.. i think i have all the numbers and letters in there.

dont know how it compares to bs, but so far it seems to be doing the job for me. what i like about it is that it is safe for cows and calves nursing pregnant cows.

jt

This is what I have been using also. My vet is my wifes boss so I get some special treatment. I had him run some test to see if any showed positve and ran the same blood work on my bulls. All came back neg. I use this product every year. And new heifers get the MLV.

Scotty

Latest posts