vaccination program

Help Support CattleToday:

tripleS

Reaction score
I have been trying to get on a scheduled vaccination program but don't really know when is best for what. When is the best time to vac. bred cows, calves, bulls? What all is neccessary? Right know I am giving blackleg, a respirtory vaccine, pinkeye, and deworming. I usually calve beginning in Feb/March though April/May and don't like to work cows when they are extremely pregnant. I've always thought that they didn't need to get bumped around before calving. What do ya'll do or any good websites with information?

Pfizer sent out a pamphlet recently that is pushing the idea of using MLV vacines, now of course that limits the window of the vacination program for cows to the time period that that they are open, prior to breeding, as these vacines are not safe for pregnant cattle, or cattle that are still allowing calves to suck... Small window. But they are saying that their products give better and longer protection against the various badies out there. If , like us, you keep a bull in pasture all yr round, it makes things very difficult if not nearly impossible to take on such a program. But, if you have a yearly breeding program, vacinations just prior to breeding seems the way to go.
I called and spoke to one of the in-house vets at the company and he concurred with the above. he also spoke highly of these new 'vacines' for newborn calves that contain hyperimmunized serum for BVD, Ecoli, Salm, P13, etc. Our vet has had us trying these out, and so far so good. I am not sure that we will get complete protection, but it does seem that the symptoms are much less pronounced when they do get ill.

Has anyone else started using any of these serums that have just come out? :?:

Medic24":2fszp4o7 said:
Pfizer sent out a pamphlet recently that is pushing the idea of using MLV vacines, now of course that limits the window of the vacination program for cows to the time period that that they are open, prior to breeding, as these vacines are not safe for pregnant cattle, or cattle that are still allowing calves to suck... Small window.

Maybe my brain isn't working, but do you wean your calves before you rebreed the cows? We don't. That would put us to weaning them at 2 months. It sounds like I could only use that on calves, open heifers and bulls. :?:

fellersbarnoneranch":1dobylds said:
Medic24":1dobylds said:
Pfizer sent out a pamphlet recently that is pushing the idea of using MLV vacines, now of course that limits the window of the vacination program for cows to the time period that that they are open, prior to breeding, as these vacines are not safe for pregnant cattle, or cattle that are still allowing calves to suck... Small window.

Maybe my brain isn't working, but do you wean your calves before you rebreed the cows? We don't. That would put us to weaning them at 2 months. It sounds like I could only use that on calves, open heifers and bulls. :?:

I think there is a bit of confusion here. We use MLV on the cows at spring workup. They've just calved but are not bred back. We vaccinate the calves at the same time with one shot of MLV blackleg. The calf is nursing and there is a concern of a calf vacinated with MLV could cause abortion, but, since the cows aren;t bred and the vaccine has pretty much worn off of the calf by the time the cow is bred there aren't any problems. When we wean the calves we hit them again with everything then a booster a couple of weeks later. At the same time the cows get a coupleo f killed virus lepto-vibrio again.

dun

dun":3vxl8r47 said:
fellersbarnoneranch":3vxl8r47 said:
Medic24":3vxl8r47 said:

I think there is a bit of confusion here. We use MLV on the cows at spring workup. They've just calved but are not bred back. We vaccinate the calves at the same time with one shot of MLV blackleg. The calf is nursing and there is a concern of a calf vacinated with MLV could cause abortion, but, since the cows aren;t bred and the vaccine has pretty much worn off of the calf by the time the cow is bred there aren't any problems. When we wean the calves we hit them again with everything then a booster a couple of weeks later. At the same time the cows get a coupleo f killed virus lepto-vibrio again.

dun

The only thing I can add to that is to stress the importance of the booster. The first shot stimulates a memory responce and the second one is what I was told does the main work. Also to work cattle in favorable conditions. Cool times of the day and under little natural stress.

Scotty

In the spring & fall, we use Ivomec and vaccinate with Traingle 9. Calves get black leg and Ivomec at 3 - 4 months of age.

Medic24"Has anyone else started using any of these serums that have just come out? :?:[/quote said:
You know if we as ranchers used ever new product that the drug companies wanted us to use, used ever product that the feed and mineral companies say we needed, do ever thing the way the county agent and veterinary recommend...we'd end up working to support all of them instead of having cattle working for us. Its bad enough just having to feed the bank and the IRS.

Yes we do need some things. For the original question add a lepto/vibrio to your viral...be sure its one thats safe for pregnant cows if they are still bred or nursing calves. Ive used the killeds at all stages and never had any trouble

Fellers and dunn are right, But the pamphet does say...do not use MLV vacines on pregnant cattle or cattle nursing calves....so it kinda leaves me wondering once again? You will alos see this same warning in Jeffers catalog in the MLV section too! :?: :?: :?:

Just last week I discussed this very topic with my vet. He has had several clients switch to the MLV program. Now according to my vet, Pfizer has labeled Bovi 5 to be given the first time to only open cows, but once this initial vaccination has been done the cow can be boostered at any time. He made mention that Pfizer is so far the only company with this label for a MLV, but he expects others to follow.

tapeworm":1kbitxu3 said:
You know if we as ranchers used ever new product that the drug companies wanted us to use, used ever product that the feed and mineral companies say we needed, do ever thing the way the county agent and veterinary recommend...we'd end up working to support all of them instead of having cattle working for us. Its bad enough just having to feed the bank and the IRS.

tapeworm- You are so right and every area is different.......A lot of vets also sell vaccines so the ones they sell are always needed......And the best - the one that sells Pfizer will tell you they're best- the one that sells Fort Dodge will say they are best..................

Blackleg, lepto, and deworm twice per year. You want to get more obsessive/compulsive about it, then that's your prerogative. Other specific (regional/endemic) vaccinations per your vet's (and your good sense) recommendations. There are tons of recommendations, but you have to sift through them, weigh out the risk vs. cost vs. benefit, and figure out your own program. But, and it is a proverbial big but, you should never lose a cow due to Blackleg, lose a calf/fetus due to lepto, or have a cow waste away due to worms/parasites.

I don't know if any of this was correct, but I watched "The Cattle Show" tuesday night at 8 on RFDTV and found it very informative. I knew some of the stuff already but a little positive reinforcement never hurts. I think Pfizer sponsored the show so I'm sure it was biased towards their products. The theme of the show was reproductive efficiency. They opened the show with some statistics about national reproduction averages. Something like 92% of cows get bred, 86% actually have a calf and 82% of the calves make it to yearlings. So the talk of the whole show is why people lose the 6% from conception to birth. Pfizer claims that most of these losses could be prevented through proper vaccinations.
Pfizer recommends the following vaccinations twice a year with one dose being right before breeding:

IBR
BVD
Lepto
Blackleg

They also recommend use a wormer at these times, Dectomax I believe.

Disclaimer: I am in no way shape or form associated with Pfizer or any other pharmaceutical company. I am also not affiliated with RFDTV. :lol:

thanks to everyone for their information. Although everyone seems to know exactly what they are doing in their own operation i think docgraybull has the idea closest to mine. Alright, say i am giving blackleg lepto and deworm twice a year(right know I am giving once). Best time for cows and bulls is right before breeding season and then six months later? Is that the general opinion? I grew out feeders all through school and college but am ony getting starting in the cow/calf business so I need to know about calves too. How old do they need what? Replacements need other things than calves going to the sale too don't they? I know am ask alot of questions but afterall that is the only way to find out right? Thanks

Oh yea i'd rather not mess with anything that can't be given to a bred cow or a lactating cow because that really isn't possible with even a 60 day calving period is it? I thought most people breed cows with calves beside them.

i saw that too putzo, real interesting show. depends on where you are & what diseases are on your farm. i vaccinate my calves at three or four weeks for blackleg, haemophilus, ibr,pi 3,bvd 1 & 2,& brsv. don't hit them again for 3 or four months ( i know that's not the way you are supposed to do, but works for me) if i wait til they get older mine will start getting some form of pneumonia. some vacinate their breeding heifers for brucellosis & lepto

All areas require different vaccines, but, most everyone recommends - IBR PI3 BVD & BRSV. Killed vaccines are getting slammed on latest research. Can't tell you a site to go to, but I have read & printed in my newsletter, several univ research studies stating that killed vaccines only protect for several months IF you give the proper booster shot.
The same reports are saying that there's a chance that the MLV are protecting for life - but are still recommending vaccinating once a year.
OK, I've been using the Pfizer program since before it was legally approved on label.
You vaccinate your cows AFTER calving & about 2-3 weeks prior to breeding (yes they are nursing a calf) with BoviShield Gold (I use the 4-vib-L5). Once a cow has received the BS MLV, it is safe to vaccinate her and her calf at ANY STAGE OF PREGNANCY or nursing.
It is recommended to vaccinate your weaned heifers with BS4L5, than a booster shot for the ?(BRSV or BVD?)? After that, they are safe to be vaccinated yearly at any stage.
Since we show, we expose our farm to various diseases, so we use the best preventative program offered. It is MUCH cheaper & less stressful (on us) than treating sick cattle.
We vaccinate & deworm cows 2 weeks prior to breeding & in the fall they get Lepto & dewormed again.
Calves are vaccinated with BS4L5 during the summer (along with several other vaccinations) & dewormed with a booster for all vaccines 4 weeks later PRIOR to weaning. We deworm calves again late fall.
Hope this helps.

Medic24":8u6ywhya said:
Fellers and dunn are right, But the pamphet does say...do not use MLV vacines on pregnant cattle or cattle nursing calves....so it kinda leaves me wondering once again? You will alos see this same warning in Jeffers catalog in the MLV section too! :?: :?: :?:
I think it was Mr Dun that said theres a lot of confusion here...and he's right. You dont use the live stuff on pregnant cows or CALVES nursing pregnant cows. In other words if you use the live virals on a calf it may cross over from the calf sucking to the bredcow not the other way around. Ive never heard of one that you cant give to cows just because theyre nursing a calf

The new Pfizer vaccine BoviShield Gold is APPROVED, & labeled for use on pregnant cows nursing calves. This became labeled about 2 years ago. BUT, you must vaccinated the cow when she is open the FIRST time. It does not hurt to use ANY MLV on an open cow nursing a calf. It's a PREGNANT cow that you cannot (or I should say could not) vaccinate or a calf nursing a pregnant cow. But now you can vaccinate the nursing calf on a PREGNANT cow IF she has been vaccinated with the BS product while she was open.
There is plenty of time between calving and breeding to vaccinate cows with any MLV, but using the BoviShield product, we can vaccinate our calves prior to weaning, so they have plenty of immunities built up prior to the stress of weaning. I have been doing this for 5 years.

i have been using vira shield 5+vl5 or something like that.. i think i have all the numbers and letters in there.

dont know how it compares to bs, but so far it seems to be doing the job for me. what i like about it is that it is safe for cows and calves nursing pregnant cows.

jt

Latest posts