vaccination program?

Help Support CattleToday:

milkmaid

Reaction score
Just wondering what you all use and what you like. I know what I've used before, but sometimes what's been used before isn't always best...so that's why I'm asking. I've got several weaned calves around 3-4 months, and several calves on an (open) nurse cow around 1 month of age. Then I've got a 4H steer project that I assume has been vaccinated about a year ago, but I don't know with what, and the (open) nurse cow who I'd estimate at 4-5 years of age, and hasn't been vaccinated in several years. I think she had Virashield 5 and 8-way.

Is there something you'd use on all these, or a certain combination of vaccines you'd use for, say the calves, and a certain combination for the older animals?

Thanks-

They all can get a MLV like BoviShield 4L5, and the BRSV & Lepto needs to be repeated in 2-4 weeks (after that just 1 X year) I usually just revaccinate with the BS4L5 again. If you use a live vaccine at this stage, the calves & cows are safe to be vaccinated at any stage of their pregnancy or nursing within the next 12 months.
Killed vaccines really don't give you protection for very long, and the MLV MAY give them protection for life, although they still recommend yearly shots.
We also give Pasturella and clostridial shots. Hope this helps.

I don't think you can much hurt an animal with killed vacines if you were to revac. them. Check the ears for tatoos and age befor you vac. for Bangs. I heard a story of a guy taking his to a vet and they all got a bangs shot and had tatoos. Turns out the guy who had them vet did not tag but only tatooed them. If you double vac or vac. to old they will test positive for bangs and that is a lot of trouble to find out they really don't if you sell them at an auction barn.

Scotty

Yes, that helps. Thanks. Now to see where the vaccines are cheapest...the vet clinic or online... ;-)

milkmaid":2v91igwd said:
Yes, that helps. Thanks. Now to see where the vaccines are cheapest...the vet clinic or online... ;-)
Which one might answer your question(s) for free, buy your heifer or steer at your local county fair Premium auction, or make a farm call in the wee hours of the morning? If your online supplier will do all of these things and save you a few cents per dose, then by all means, send your money to a faceless out of state megasupplier. If not, then support your local reliable vet clinic, even if they are a few cents per dose higher.

When I was pencil whipping figures a while back I came up with a significant difference between what the vet charges and what I could buy vaccines for from other sources. The problem is I would have had to buy in such a large quantity from the other sources to get it cheaper that I would have had to throw most of it away as it was surplus to my needs. When all was said and done the vet was substantially cheaper for the amount that was actaully required.

dun

Your bedrock for vaccines should be your blackleg and lepto. Bang's at 4-12 mos for your heifers. I use an 8 way blackleg + Somnus and 5 way lepto. Booster each around 4-6 weeks later with same product. I called Pfizer and you don't need to booster BRSV and lepto seperately like the label indicates. The vet told me to just use the same Bovishield as a booster. Sometimes I think they want to sell you more product for the booster.

I use Bovishield FP 5 + VL5. This gets your BRD diseases, vibrio, and 5 way lepto knocked out in one shot. This is a MLV. Can be given to pregnant cattle provided they were vaccinated previously with the MLV. Always booster 4 weeks later then annually from then on. This goes for all vaccines when you start.

1 shot Bovishield/ 2ml IM 1 shot blackleg 2ml IM and you are done.
We start calves around 2-3 months with shots, then booster at weaning. Continue annually there on out.

Worm when it is rainy and have standing water around. If it is dry, less likely you will have to use Ivomec or similar worming product. That is something of a judgement call on your part.