Vaccinating sale barn calves

Help Support CattleToday:

Here in east texas they run them through the ring one at a time and its fast. Nothing is said except how much a pound and who bought them. Preconditioned calf sales are slow to catch on here. There is one salebarn I can sale preconditioned calves at but its a pretty good haul and eats up the difference with no more than I have. I vacc all my calves but usually sale them right off there dams. I would wean them if there was a salebarn closer that would buy them preconditioned.

Lucky_P":26mcd5mo said:
We sell at one of two local salebarns - one announces 'value-added' calves, with regard to vaccination, weaning, etc., at every sale, and those calves generally bring top dollar for their weight class. The other holds a monthly 'value-added' sale, where they will actually announce calves that have had whatever vaccinations, weaned/bunk broke, etc. - but still, if you've got some that are sorted off due to being smaller, a different color(other than black/BWF), they often don't get a higher price - and I sometimes feel like somebody 'stole' those.
Sometimes I question whether it's worth the trouble - but it is the right thing to do for the calf, and for the next person(s) up the chain of custody.

All of our calves get two rounds of IBR/BVD/PI3/BRSV, a Pasteurella/Mannheimia bacterin/toxoid, 5-way Clostridial(two doses), are weaned and bunk broke for at least 2 weeks - usually 4-6 wks- before they go to the sale.

I don't buy salebarn calves, but if I did, unless I had verification that they had been adequately vaccinated, I'd hit 'em with the intranasal Inforce-3(IBR/PI3/BRSV) on arrival, then wait 10 days or so and booster them with Bovi-Shield Gold 5 or similar MLV product. I don't give bacterins at the same time with a mlv BVD product, as it can block response to the bacterins. So...purchased calves would also need to get a Clostridial bacterin/toxoid at some point, either on arrival, or 7-10 days after the injectible MLV containing BVD.

Any issues with doing it with killed vcaccines such as Virashield?

You using Hoptown and Guthrie yards?

Latest posts