vacation

Help Support CattleToday:

HOSS":3n7af75d said:
Those are some great ideas guys I appreciate it. I looked online at a cabin on 500 acres a few miles outside of Mena, Arkansas overlooking the Ouachita Mts. The cabin looks really nice and is supposed to be the only one on the 500 acre parcel so it would definetley be out of the crowd :cowboy: It was only 150.00 per night and we would have the run of the 500 acres for hiking, atv riding etc.

I also looked at some pictures of the Ouachita mountains and it looked like some beautiful country.

And the bonus would be that you have a free tour guide to those places you won't find on the internet. Depending on my work schedule :tiphat:

Ouachita":31u8b9wj said:
HOSS":31u8b9wj said:
Those are some great ideas guys I appreciate it. I looked online at a cabin on 500 acres a few miles outside of Mena, Arkansas overlooking the Ouachita Mts. The cabin looks really nice and is supposed to be the only one on the 500 acre parcel so it would definetley be out of the crowd :cowboy: It was only 150.00 per night and we would have the run of the 500 acres for hiking, atv riding etc.

I also looked at some pictures of the Ouachita mountains and it looked like some beautiful country.

And the bonus would be that you have a free tour guide to those places you won't find on the internet. Depending on my work schedule :tiphat:
If I do get out that way I would love to meet you Ouachita. I do not expect someone to disrupt their lives to tour a Tennessee redneck around but I would be happy to meet up and I'll buy you a cup of coffee or lunch or something. We will see how it goes......could be a fun, relaxing trip.

I understand you not wanting to disrupt someone elses daily routine. I'm the same way. But seriously, if you do pass this way, let me know. It would be my pleasure to drink your coffee and show you and your family around.

TexasBred":1ldaws58 said:
greybeard":1ldaws58 said:
Been to Jefferson Texas last Oct. Crowded, and pretty pricey. Can't say much for their lodging either. Lots of B&Bs there, which we didn't try, but other than that, only 2 motels in town and both were (imo) somewhere between roach motel and Motel 5 1/3.
East Texas is basically full of trees, and if you've seen one pine forest, you've seen 'em all.
When I have visitors, I take them to the San Jacinto Battelgrounds, to tour Battleship Texas and the monument. They all seem to enjoy it.
We went to the Renascence Festival last year in Montgomery County Tx. Never again!

If you like flea market type outings, Canton Texas has one of the biggest, with good lodging available, right off the interstate. Weekend after the 1st Monday of each month.
My next "vacation" is going to be Big Bend--south west Texas.
We try to do our recreational stuff in the fall, when it isn't so dang hot--mostly county fairs and livestock shows.

I take it you didnt' stay in the Excelsior House ??

No, but we did go in it and check availability--all filled up for the next 4 weeks last Oct till
almost Thanksgiving week.
I did enjoy Auntie Skinners tho. Good chicken fried steak, but the reason we went in, we kept seeing people going in dressed kinda funny. Inquired and found out they were having a "Pimps and Hookers Night" where everyone dressed like early Jefferson. Never saw so much cleavage in one place in my life. Wife told me if I didn't stop staring, "I'm gonna whip your wrinkled ol (benice) right here in front of everybody".We left shortly thereafter..

HOSS":xv489flk said:
Ouachita, how far is Forked Mountain from Menna? Are there hiking trails to the summit?

Hoss, I'm not familiar with a mountain by that name close to Mena. There are a lot of mountain names with the word "fork" in them. There are also a lot of mountain tops around here with the same name; Like "Round", "Tall Peak", "Middle", "Fodderstack", Round", Fodderstack", and etc. Kinda like Larry, Darrell, and Darrell :lol2: . Typical of the natives :lol2:
I have a book called "Hiking Arkansas", and it mentions a "Forked Mountain". That particular mountain is about 50 miles east of Mena. Never been there.
Look up the Little Missouri River (and falls), Albert Pike Recreation Area, Cossatot River, Bard Srings, Caney Creek Wilderness, Camp Wilder, Wolf Pen Gap, Bee Mountain Tower, Blackfork Mountain Wilderness, Rich Mountain.................

Deepsouth":22h9yfml said:
Check out the Natchez Trace parkway from Nashville all the way to Natchez. Go from Natchez up to Vicksburg and then back up through the delta to Memphis. Lots of history, civil war sites and battle fields, see the Mississippi river and plenty of agriculture. No crowds.
When you get to Memphis you are only 50 miles from AC and I. Come by.

Ouachita":zuacehte said:
HOSS":zuacehte said:
Ouachita, how far is Forked Mountain from Menna? Are there hiking trails to the summit?

Hoss, I'm not familiar with a mountain by that name close to Mena. There are a lot of mountain names with the word "fork" in them. There are also a lot of mountain tops around here with the same name; Like "Round", "Tall Peak", "Middle", "Fodderstack", Round", Fodderstack", and etc. Kinda like Larry, Darrell, and Darrell :lol2: . Typical of the natives :lol2:
I have a book called "Hiking Arkansas", and it mentions a "Forked Mountain". That particular mountain is about 50 miles east of Mena. Never been there.
Look up the Little Missouri River (and falls), Albert Pike Recreation Area, Cossatot River, Bard Srings, Caney Creek Wilderness, Camp Wilder, Wolf Pen Gap, Bee Mountain Tower, Blackfork Mountain Wilderness, Rich Mountain.................

This is Forked Mountain. It comes up in several pictures when Ouachita Mountains is put is as a web picture search.
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=oua ... form=QBIR#

Hoss, don't believe everything you see on that page. The picture are real, and definately Arkansas. I recognize and know for fact that the majority of those pictures are at other better known state parks or frequented areas. Most are from Petit Jean State Park and Mulberry River. Good places too. What drew you to a place called Forked Mountain?

Hoss, I would recommend redbull may have some better Arkansas sights to see up in the Ozarks. I hear he gives private one-on-one tours of Eureka Springs. :lol2:

Ouachita":3pm3ytst said:
Hoss, don't believe everything you see on that page. The picture are real, and definately Arkansas. I recognize and know for fact that the majority of those pictures are at other better known state parks or frequented areas. Most are from Petit Jean State Park and Mulberry River. Good places too. What drew you to a place called Forked Mountain?
Just looking at the pictures. I am usually drawn to the rougher landscapes and higher elevations. It is not a typical looking mountain that you will see that far east. It stood out as different and therefore interesting. The only problem is that everybody else and their brother has probably been there.......I like odd things off the beaten path.

Kathie in Thorp":2ycpkrtq said:
Ever thought about Washington?
I have been there a couple of times. Mostly the eastern part of the state around Walla Walla and Spokane. It is really beautiful out there. I have always seen pictures of Mt. Olympus and have always wanted to go there one day.

Latest posts