Utility trailer floor suggestions?

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
I have a 5x8 utility trailer with a expanded metal floor. It is starting to break loose in a lot of places. Thought about just putting treated wood floor over top of it. Mainly used to haul a mower to mow rental house yard in town. Wondered if the wood would be too slick for the mower. Actually have a stall mat over the expanded metal now.

I have the same trailer that I only use to haul the zero turn mower. It weighs near the rating of the trailer. The expanded metal was starting to pull away from one side of the trailer - welds broken and starting to sag. I just threw a piece of 3/4" exterior plywood in the trailer and drive the mower in on top of that. I figured that it would spread the weight enough to carry the load. That was about a year ago and is working OK for me.

I have the same trailer that I only use to haul the zero turn mower. It weighs near the rating of the trailer. The expanded metal was starting to pull away from one side of the trailer - welds broken and starting to sag. I just threw a piece of 3/4" exterior plywood in the trailer and drive the mower in on top of that. I figured that it would spread the weight enough to carry the load. That was about a year ago and is working OK for me.
Any traction issues loading the mower?

None, but it is a zero turn - heavy with wide tires. The ramp is expanded metal. I drive it on forward, so by the time that the rear wheels hit the plywood, it is pretty much level.
Ok mine is a tilt bed and it spins some now.

Treated wood is going to be too slippery for a tilt deck, especially when wet.

I have a little 4x8 tilt with rough sawn boards on the floor, you need to back up it to have any hope of making it up.

If you wanted to continue with wood, probably best to cut some traction strips out of expanded metal and staple them to the boards.