Uterine prolapse

Help Support CattleToday:

UG

Reaction score
Since 2002 we've had a couple first calf heifers have uterine prolapses at calving. We were able to get the vet out in both cases to save the cow and in both cases the heifers bred right back and calves with no problems the following year. We ended up selling the first cow to another breeder after her second calf, and she prolapsed again this Spring following her fourth calf.

How often have other readers on this forum experienced uterine prolapses. Have you found that it runs in cow or bull families? Do you keep the cows or sell them as hamburger?

It seems there is a high tendency for prolapses to be heritable, Some breeds have had to deal with prolapse issues and some bloodlines have it worse than others. I haven't had a prolapse in the last 2000 cows calved out. I wouldn't keep a cow that prolapses and if for some reason i had to i wouldn't want her daughter in the herd or worse her son.

Some breeds are more prone to have prolapses. I've never have one.

I'm dealing with a cow with a vaginal prolapse at the moment, vet tells me it's not much to worry about, as the 8 month old calf is pushing is out. goes back in at times. nothing near as bad as a uterine prolapse.......before now, never knew there was much of a difference. :cboy:

I had a first calf heifer last year that had a prolapse, the calf died, and the heifer after it got better we sold. She was too small, and the chance that it would happen again was too great, plus the fact that she might not even have gotten bred back, not much of a milker either.

They can be deadly. The same day as the heifer had a older cow get one too, she got tears, the Vet gave her a small chance of survival, she died, plus lost the calf too.

GMN

Unfortunately, we lost every cow (around 4 or 5 over 20+ years) so far that has had a uterine prolapse. Two we had the vet come out but still lost them. The others we found dead. Obviously, not much luck here with uterine prolapse. Seems to run in streaks here. We would lose 2 or 3 in a year when we had it happen.

The 2 vaginal prolaspses we had we sold soon after they calved. We had the vet try to put them back in but they always came back out. He recommended we sell them.

my opinion there aint but two ways too deal with prolaspes. that is cull and sell. its hereditary the majority of the time . and sence she did it twice id say its the problem with her

I agree.. it's going to be genetic and you run the risk of passing that on to any offspring, and why keep a cow you have to worry about?

Once we had an old Char cow that prolapsed had a HUGE calf, but she was already dead when we found her. I think that's the only one we've had.

I would sell any repeat offenders, don't want that in my herd. I'm not a big fan of bottle raising calves, or of walking 200+ acres in the dark lookin for down cows.

beef11 and ollie,

Are you talking about vaginal prolapses in regards to specific breeds and family lines? I know that certain lines of Herefords are more prone to vaginal prolapses, but I've never heard of this with uterine prolapses.

Thanks

UG":227jgz3j said:
How often have other readers on this forum experienced uterine prolapses. Have you found that it runs in cow or bull families? Do you keep the cows or sell them as hamburger?

We haven't had any type of prolapse in years, but we have never kept a cow that prolapsed or her daughters.

beef11 and ollie,

Are you talking about vaginal prolapses in regards to specific breeds and family lines? I know that certain lines of Herefords are more prone to vaginal prolapses, but I've never heard of this with uterine prolapses.

Both. Some breeders will never see one due to different breeds or lines withi a breed. Others will struggle with it. It sounds like you could have a problem if you keep that particular line in your herd. Sell the cow and her daughters. Prolapses are serious business and very expensive. In good years a prolapse prone cow has a tough time being profitable bad years it takes four other cows to carry her load.

ALACOWMAN":2iqydokv said:
guest25":2iqydokv said:
there are cows that can have issues then there are selinium deficiencies that can be attributed to the problem also.
selinium def. thats more assosiated with retained placenta

Ya know, I hate agreeing with guest25, but selenium deficiency can cause uterine prolapses. It's been researched and published, and is a well established fact. It is also indicated with retained placentas, uterine infections, pneumonia and other disease... Sorry....

UG":2fusjuez said:
beef11 and ollie,

Thanks
I've had a vaginal prolapse on old cows a time or two but nothing more than a bowl size bubble sticking out when they are laying down that goes back in when they stand. I have never had a uterine prolapse. Eared cows, especially gerts seem to be prone to uterine prolapse around here. I also think that gerts and eared cows have redeeming qualities that offset this problem.

Ya know, I hate agreeing with guest25, but selenium deficiency can cause uterine prolapses. It's been researched and published, and is a well established fact. It is also indicated with retained placentas, uterine infections, pneumonia and other disease... Sorry....

I'll forgive you, look at the good side you probably won't have to do it again in this lifetime. Kind of like Halleys comet.

This won't solve your problem but will help the vet.If I have a uterine prolapse i dump a 5# bag of sugar on it until my vet(45 min+ away) can get there .Seems like the sugar keeps the uterine wall from drying out or sweling.Vickie theVET?

mtncows":4y2v68u1 said:
This won't solve your problem but will help the vet.If I have a uterine prolapse i dump a 5# bag of sugar on it until my vet(45 min+ away) can get there .Seems like the sugar keeps the uterine wall from drying out or sweling.Vickie theVET?
The sugar acts as a hypertonic solution and sucks fluid out of the uterus to make it less swollen, and thus easier to put back in. At least, that's my experience....

Hi V th V - nice to hear from you.
The sugar also helps because it gives you some "grit" to hold on to :D
U Prolapses are probably MOSTLY related to dystocia - but CAN be a heritable problem and also can definately be a mineral deficiency. I'm a STRONG believer in SE causing LOTS of different problems.

Vicky the vet":jz7ivosc said:
ALACOWMAN":jz7ivosc said:
guest25":jz7ivosc said:
there are cows that can have issues then there are selinium deficiencies that can be attributed to the problem also.
selinium def. thats more assosiated with retained placenta

is it because selenium helps maintain muscle integrity? never knew it

Latest posts