How to treat uterine torsion in parturient dairy cows?

Help Support CattleToday:

Ballya

Reaction score
Conservative treatment

"Rolling Maternal Method" to correct uterine twist: lay soft grass on the broad flat ground lay down cows, tie the forelimbs and hind limbs with ropes respectively, leaving about 100 cm of rope head. The cows lie on the same side of the uterus twist and pull the rope quickly in the same direction of the twist with about three people on each side to make the cow turn slowly. Slowly return to the original recumbent state, once again let its rapid rotation. Roll 2 to 3 times like this, put the disinfected hand into the birth canal and check carefully whether it is in place. This method can be successfully repositioned in most cases with the early reversal and survival of the cow babies.

Saw about 3 of those during my practice career. My heart would sink whenever I stuck my hand in there and felt that twist.
Managed to get 'em all corrected, in time... and as far as I know, both cow and calf survived long-term.
Better have at least a couple of strong fellows on hand to flip the cow.

Got that rarity out of the way for the first and last time ~ 5 yrs into owning cows decades ago. Walked the plank & got it resolved. Lost the calf but saved the heifer...who had an appointment with the Golden Arches after she healed up.

They're much more common in Holsteins; it's rare for me to go more than a month without seeing one. You can turn the uterus by hand if you have a strong arm and know which way it needs to go.