Using cables

Help Support CattleToday:

Flatbroke

Reaction score
I have seen cables used over the top of a feed bunker to keep cattle from crawling through the bunker, but have you ever seen cables used in the outer areas of a corral or feed lot? How would the cables be kept tight enough to serve as corral rails?.

I want to use some free cables and some old railroad ties to expand my corral system Ideas would sure help me :bang:

Cable can work, I would drill holes thru the railway ties, to thread the cable. Strain to tighten and then wrap back on it's self and clamp tight. Best to have a solid rail in the middle to stop them pushing their way out.

Flatbroke

I have seen folks use the coil springs from vehicles to make tighteners for the cables. These springs are modified with threaded rod to convert them from a compression spring to make them act as an expansion spring. Works great to allow the fence to contract and expand with the weather changes and keeps the cables taut.

You can use turn buckles at the end to tighten it. It is difficult to get tight enough and if not tight a cow can climb through it.

Had a corral with pipe posts, pipe top and mid rail, and cables w/turnbuckles, and hated it! Held the cows ok but, anything under 800# was a different story. We won't even talk about baby calves, they just had free range in the corral. No matter how tight you got the cables the cattle would hit them hard and stretch them some more then go thru them. Finally cut them all out of the bottom half and welded in sucker rod. Haven't had a problem since.

Latest posts