Creep feeding using protein licks?

Help Support CattleToday:

fnfarms1

Reaction score
I generally only use protein licks late in fall to gain back body condition or in spring to help milk production before green grass gets going. Has anyone tried creep feeding using protein licks? Seems simple to me to have a 12x12 pen with creep gate aND 1-2 prote in tubs. Cheaper to build/buy than creep feeder too. Also does anyone have dimensions on a creep gate handy?

fnfarms1":2ernz2uj said:
I generally only use protein licks late in fall to gain back body condition or in spring to help milk production before green grass gets going. Has anyone tried creep feeding using protein licks? Seems simple to me to have a 12x12 pen with creep gate aND 1-2 prote in tubs. Cheaper to build/buy than creep feeder too. Also does anyone have dimensions on a creep gate handy?
Never seen cattle gain weight on tubs or liquid feed. It supplements poor forage/hay but has almost negative energy.

Your 12x12 pen is a little small. At a minimum I would add a couple more panels. I put a calf panel in place of a gate in a larger coral. I have grain bunks where I feed a little oats every day and there is a hay feeder where they have my best hay. Some times I have lick barrels for them to. I do all this before I wean them and get them comfortable with the corral and then one day I shut th gate. Most of the cows are the first to get upset. From here I can back ground them until I am ready to sell.

For what you are actually getting, a lick is a bad investment. I'm not sure with today's prices, it'd pay to put out a creep pellet.

They make some natural tubs without urea. But as Nolan said I don't think they can lick enough to gain much . I use tubs but as tb said it's to force dry grass down dry cows.
Imo if you don't have grass they can gain on. Your best bet is to sell them small.

I'm ok on grass. Got alot compared to many yrs, rains been decent here. I implanted them all this yr and know that creep would help them gain. However last yr my creep feed bill was terrible, maybe a limiter would help. Salt? I realize it takes money to make money but you have to make ends meet as well.

Bigfoot":2ebt3pcw said:
For what you are actually getting, a lick is a bad investment. I'm not sure with today's prices, it'd pay to put out a creep pellet.

2X
We use a little home raised oats currently for a creep feed.

400# Corn $25.30
100# SBM $19.9
10# of a mineral with at least 18% cal. $4
If they eat 5 pounds per day and gain 1 pound it will cost you $.48
1.40-.48=$.92

If you have old cows, or young heifers creep feeding might work out ok, or short on pasture.
But calves on young good milkers with plenty of grass should do fine without creep.

sim.-ang.king":3iwnywnj said:
400# Corn $25.30
100# SBM $19.9
1.40-.48=$.92

If you have old cows, or young heifers creep feeding might work out ok, or short on pasture.
But calves on young good milkers with plenty of grass should do fine without creep.
sim can you buy corn and bean meal at those prices?? Much higher down this way.

TexasBred":10tavrt5 said:
sim.-ang.king":10tavrt5 said:
400# Corn $25.30
100# SBM $19.9
1.40-.48=$.92

sim can you buy corn and bean meal at those prices?? Much higher down this way.
If you find someone that will sell it. Hording it like fools gold.
Most of mine is from last fall at $3.40, but sometimes you get lucky and find someone that needs money.
Payed $4 even a month ago, with the rain SIL and CIL have got today people are going to start selling for anything above 3.25, in a fire sale type market.
The soy meal I buy don't change much in price because MT.Vernon IN. likes to import South of the boarder Soy, making the stock pile of decatur SBM right at board price.

fnfarms1":16t90d4z said:
I'm ok on grass. Got alot compared to many yrs, rains been decent here. I implanted them all this yr and know that creep would help them gain. However last yr my creep feed bill was terrible, maybe a limiter would help. Salt? I realize it takes money to make money but you have to make ends meet as well.

If you don't have enough roughage for the calves to eat, good quality roughage...your creep feed bill will be sky high. I like creeping when intake will stay under 5#. Seams like that doesn't happen very often. If its to high of intake, you might as well wean them and then you can control the intake. As stated above, a tub won't get you enough gains.

I use 200 pound Purina lick tubs as a creep feed for calves, but I make it available to all cattle so it probably isn't really a creep feed. I spring and summer calve on mostly bahiagrass. I put out lick tubs after my last cow calves (yesterday this year). I have kept records and have noticed a significant increase in ADG using lick tubs like I do. In 2015 the increase in ADG outweighed the cost in using lick tubs.

I don't see how creep pencils out .. by the time the coons and possums get their part the calves don't get much .. I use the pvm tubs from mid August to December .. just to make the cows eat the tough bahia grass.

JSCATTLE":1p5ddfth said:
I don't see how creep pencils out .. by the time the coons and possums get their part the calves don't get much .. I use the pvm tubs from mid August to December .. just to make the cows eat the tough bahia grass.
JS put that creep out and I'll send you some coon and possum recipes. :lol: :lol: :hide:

TexasBred":1t6no7hm said:
JSCATTLE":1t6no7hm said:
JS put that creep out and I'll send you some coon and possum recipes. :lol: :lol: :hide:
I wish they were worth the money that we got for them when I was a kid .. I'd clean every coon in 3 county's for 15 to 20 bucks a piece ..

Latest posts