Protein calculation help?

Help Support CattleToday:

fnfarms1

Reaction score
Ok so I'm getting confused. Guy teaching our cattle class calculated cubes as much cheaper than tubs. Feed store guy calculates it as the opposite, granted he sells tubs.

Help me figure this. 37% cubes vs 30% tubs. Cubes are natural cottonseed, tubs up to 15% urea which negates some of the protein due to >7% being unusable. But that fact aside. I come up with .55/lb protein in tub vs .78/lb protein in cubes. Cubes are $584/ton tubs are $134/250lb tub. I'm doing something wrong

Ton tubs- .23 x 2000 = 460 lbs protein per ton.
$1072 per ton to buy 460 lbs of protein equals $2.33 per pound of useable protein.

Last edited:
Ok so I'm getting confused. Guy teaching our cattle class calculated cubes as much cheaper than tubs. Feed store guy calculates it as the opposite, granted he sells tubs.

Help me figure this. 37% cubes vs 30% tubs. Cubes are natural cottonseed, tubs up to 15% urea which negates some of the protein due to >7% being unusable. But that fact aside. I come up with .55/lb protein in tub vs .78/lb protein in cubes. Cubes are $584/ton tubs are $134/250lb tub. I'm doing something wrong
Is this for winter supplementary feed?

$584 /ton which yields 740 lbs of protein makes the cubes $0.79/lb of protein
Tubs are $1072/ton which yields 600 lbs of protein makes the tubs $1.79/lb of protein

$584 /ton which yields 740 lbs of protein makes the cubes $0.79/lb of protein
Tubs are $1072/ton which yields 600 lbs of protein makes the tubs $1.79/lb of protein
I got that 1.79 and thought I'd divided it wrong. By that it's way off. I think guy at feed store wasn't calculating out pounds of protein, he was doing whole tub as 100% protein….I think

Could vary a lot depending on your location. Here good alfalfa at $300 a ton is the cheapest protein. It is easy to find alfalfa that will test 20%. That works out to $0.75 a pound for the protein. The added benefit is less consumption of your other hay.

Could vary a lot depending on your location. Here good alfalfa at $300 a ton is the cheapest protein. It is easy to find alfalfa that will test 20%. That works out to $0.75 a pound for the protein. The added benefit is less consumption of your other hay.
Correct.. And 20% protein doesn't need fed every day. Producers forget cattle are designed to eat forage. With alfalfa you get protein, energy and dry matter. Feed stores have made a living selling protein for high prices.

I don't have a barn currently to store alfalfa, cubes are the route I was going. I just know next time I'm in the feed store he's going to ask me and I'd like to make sure my math is right.

You won't see Alfalfa growing much once you get further south, most of it is trucked in, a lot of it for horses and ranchetters. It commands a healthy price in some places.
I bought a load of peanut round bales, supposedly same protein as alfalfa, massively cheaper and they eat this stuff like crazy, horses eat it as well, has anyone else on here had any experience with it

I bought a load of peanut round bales, supposedly same protein as alfalfa, massively cheaper and they eat this stuff like crazy, horses eat it as well, has anyone else on here had any experience with it
I haven't, personally. I knew a guy that grew peanuts, but I don't know if he baled anything off of it. I've heard it's good stuff, though. What'd ya give for it?

There are two different versions of "peanut hay". Peanut vine hay is baled vines and residue from producing a crop of peanuts. Baled behind the peanut combine. May be higher moisture content than desired, have sand and dust in it, subject to aflatoxin and nitrate issues depending on growing conditions. Needs to be stored out of any rain. Hard on the baler due to sand. Produced as a secondary product - main product being the peanuts. Grown from seed planted yearly. Management was on the nut production and quality, not the vine bales.

Perennial (rhizoma) peanut hay is a forage that came from Brazil. Crop does not produce nuts for harvest. Not established from seed. Established from rhizomes taken from an established field - like hybrid bermuda is sprigged. Does not need nitrogen since it is a legume. Resistant to insects. Deep rooted. Grown as an alfalfa substitute for horses.

The sand in the peanut hay is hard on cows teeth too. Used to be lots of peanuts here and the old timers will tell stories about broke mouth 5 year old cows. Just sanded the teeth down to nothing.

Almost bought some peanut hay, going to cost $102/bale after trucking. I opted out and found some local hay. I hear it's good if done right

The sand in the peanut hay is hard on cows teeth too. Used to be lots of peanuts here and the old timers will tell stories about broke mouth 5 year old cows. Just sanded the teeth down to nothing.
Same thing happened here with sugar beets. Cows wore their teeth down because of the sand.

Latest posts